Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Both units are great but I have to go with Jen on this one. It is 38 for me all the way. I too know it exceptionally well and cannot sing the praises of 38 enough. I might say the same of 45 if I knew it as well. The nice thing about 38 is the ability to "follow the herd" if snow pushes them down low. There is a vast array of terrain types and one can hunt from the road and day hike into places or get pretty buried in the bush via backpack, it all depends on what you like. I've done both in there and the quality of the hunts is always wonderful. This last Labor Day weekend found me tagless but a good buddy had drawn 38. We car camped and hunted around our camp. We were in elk the entire time we were out and he punched his tag on a nice bull the third day. He wasn't looking for a trophy and wanted a soft bed each night. Short hikes and lots of elk made for a comfortable, relaxing, and enjoyable hunt. That being said the times I've packed in deeper have been great as well. It all depends on what a hunter is looking for. My two pesos.
    Yay!!!! Someone agrees with me!!

Thanks
    I got my eye on 38 but I need a couple more points to draw it. Good to hear some good things about it!

Thanks
    I hunted 45 this year. Had 6 points and drew type 1. I had the type 9 tag first year they went to pp. I wouldn't go the type 9 again either. I bowhunted this year and saw a ton of big bulls. Went back for start of rifle and saw lot of smaller 6 points. Ended up with a 5 point Nov. 3rd.
    I have 8 years getting to know unit with helping others and a cow tag 2 years ago. Made 4 trips there in 2013 between scouting and hunting. I won't draw again for 6 to 8 years but willing to help someone else that draws the unit. Even go so far as a scouting trip with them to pass on what I know. I don't see where I have much to lose by passing on info but maybe a lot to gain back from them. Still planning on hauling a 320 to 350 bull out of that unit before I can't walk up the mountains any more.

Thanks
    Great offer right there!!!

I was in 38 this year and was amazed at all the big expensive campers sitting everywhere with nobody staying in them

Thanks
    I've got max points as does my son. I am watching 39 Type 9 pretty closely. It's hard to give up on the chase of the top 5 units or so, but it looks pretty interesting. If anyone has some info that will help tip the scale please PM me.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1996 YT), Fannin (1997 YT), Bighorn (1998 CO Unit S-26), Stone (1995 BC), Desert (2001 NV Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 WY Unit 5)

Thanks
    Im really thinking about getting a leftover region Y deer tag and hunting unit 25/scouting 38 for elk since point creep seems to be ahead of my points in most directions and I dont think I will draw anything I would like to draw this coming year.

Thanks
    interesting

Thanks
    Musket Man,

When I drew my 38 tag I picked up a leftover deer tag for my youngest son and he came with. I was able to Elk hunt and him deer hunt and be right with me. He did not connect but we saw some decent bucks (no monsters) but he had a lot of fun. He knew the priority was Elk but it was fun for him to carry the bow and be with me. Mule deer numbers where there though as we saw lots and lots of them.

Thanks
    Thanks Don! good to hear it has a decent amount of deer. I wouldnt be holding out for a monster. I would be happy just too see some deer and elk and get to know the area a bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Im really thinking about getting a leftover region Y deer tag and hunting unit 25/scouting 38 for elk since point creep seems to be ahead of my points in most directions and I dont think I will draw anything I would like to draw this coming year.
    That is my tentative plan for 2014, maybe we could work together. I hunted deer 33 and scouted a little bit of elk 34 but was not impressed but we had a lot of snow too.