Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Spotter suggestions

I know there are a few posts like this, but I am looking for a spotter that is fairly light weight for backpack hunts. I don't really know what power or diameter I need, but I will be using it in central South Dakota and Western Kansas for the most parts but will use it in my future Elk and deer hunts further out west. I have some good 10x binos but need a good score to go with them.i don't want to spend anything over 600 or so and would like to be around 500 if possible. Any suggestions?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    TD,

Based on what you just described, I would push you to either the Nikon ED 13-30x50 or the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. I have the Vortex and my buddy has the Nikon. They are both top shelf for lightweight backpacking spotters.

Here is a link to both for comparison's sake. If you decide to purchase from Cameraland, I'd suggest you let them know where you got the recommendation. It may save you a buck or two.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...azorhd11-33x50

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon8320

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DryFlyGuy For This Useful Post:

tdcour (10-29-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyGuy View Post
    TD,

Based on what you just described, I would push you to either the Nikon ED 13-30x50 or the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. I have the Vortex and my buddy has the Nikon. They are both top shelf for lightweight backpacking spotters.

Here is a link to both for comparison's sake. If you decide to purchase from Cameraland, I'd suggest you let them know where you got the recommendation. It may save you a buck or two.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...azorhd11-33x50

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon8320

Thanks for the info. I feel like I may need more magnification than 30x, but I'm not really sure. I have been using my dads spotter that he bought roughly 20 years ago and its not great, so maybe getting a clear picture will help more than magnification? I like the Nikon for the fact that I can get it for 600 on demo where the Vortex is still 700. Is the Vortex worth the extra 100? I know they have a great warranty.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Thanks
    I have the Vortex also and wouldn't trade it for the world. I love mine.

Thanks
    Is the Vortex worth another bucks? That is hard to say. It has slightly more magnification and a fine focus adjustment knob. It is also several ounces heavier and a little bit larger. I can see pros and cons either way.

I went with the vortex because I got it on a good deal, the vortex warranty, and I liked the fine focus knob. I'd say optically, they are hard to separate.

You might want to handle both 50mm spotters and compare with a similarly priced 65mm spotter before purchasing.

Thanks
    As a former ED50 owner, I would go the Razor 50 route for the warranty advantage. I think optically they are pretty similar.

if you call a reputable Vortex dealer and ask for their best unadvertised price, you can likely even out the cost difference.

Thanks
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for other spotters or are the two already suggested the only ones?

Thanks
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for other spotters or are the two already suggested the only ones?

Thanks
    From what I can tell it looks as though the price range is going higher, if so, look at the Vortex viper 65. You will get more magnification (which sounds important) and you should be able to get it for a better price especially if you can find a guy giving special pricing. I would prefer the viper to the 50mm Razor-IMO very poor edge quality on the little 50mm. If the price is too high look at the Nikon Prostaff 5 in either the 60mm or 82mm version. Nikon has $100 instant savings deals so you could pick up a 60mm for $399 and a 82mm for $499. Prostaff 5's are lighter weight than the Viper's.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

tdcour (11-04-2013)

Thanks
    for lightweight backpacking the ED50 and Vortex 50 are your best bet hands down.

If you don't mind carrying more weight I really like my ED 60. They are discontinued and I picked it up real cheap on ebay.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JNDEER For This Useful Post:

tdcour (11-04-2013)