Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think most archery hunters did well this year. Rifle hunting has sucked, to much snow. I to have tried to take others hunting and always have issues. I have found my best hunting buddies have been my boys. They are eager to learn and see thinks a little different. Good luck finding someone to hunt with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My son is almost 9 I'm looking toward to taking him he is still a little young but he is a hunting fool now the turkeys don't have a chance!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    What area from NE are you from? I would be willing to share what have learned the hard way with a fellow Nebraskan. I just got back from Bighorns. Shot a 5 point bull on next to last day. It was my third trip up there this season. Bow-hunted 3 days then went back for first 3 days of rifle then went back for last 2 days of season. Brutal temps on last trip. Decided to never go that late alone again. Almost didn't get out late one night due to a couple small decisions that left me exhausted, under dressed and still 3 miles to hike uphill in 0 degrees. What I do is buy points and tags for several relatives and friends so I can get back in tough draw unit each year. This was my year to draw. After scouting/hunting for 8 years I know the unit well and it paid off. First day of rifle I passed on three 6 pointers and missed a fourth. I didn't find one of the monsters during rifle season that I saw during bow season but hope by the next tag I have that figured out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ne 69 I sent you a pm . I like you went for archery and thought I was good to go for rifle. The deer hunters pounded this area. This along with weather did the damage . It would have been a different story if I would have shot when we had some bulls in front of us instead letting my partner talk me out of it. You cant hunt elk like deer they travel too much I know this my partner never learns and I must not either. After all I keep going back for more. O well a blind hog finds a tater once in a while!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nebugle...when I started elk hunting I was disapointed before I ever left town the first time when i read that success rate for elk hunters is about 33%. And of course I was unsuccessful, and the next time, but just like the odds said, I got my first bull the 3rd time I went. So stick with it...it WILL happen!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Never thought I would be saying this, but I took my wife to Wyoming this year to hunt for elk. She turned out to be the best partner I could have asked for. When I was discouraged, she said we have 10 more days to hunt and we'll keep hunting till we get a bull. This from a non-hunter who was dog tired. Next day I got a great bull. She was more excited than I was. Next year she's going back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I drove out labor day weekend to hunt a week and had to deal with 90degree temps. Went back first 2 weeks of November and the wolves moved in. Nobody was finding elk. Two wolves were shot but didn't even hear of any elk taken in the area. Things happen. Learn from it and try again. In 7 years maybe I'll draw the tag again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manualman View Post
    I drove out labor day weekend to hunt a week and had to deal with 90degree temps. Went back first 2 weeks of November and the wolves moved in. Nobody was finding elk. Two wolves were shot but didn't even hear of any elk taken in the area. Things happen. Learn from it and try again. In 7 years maybe I'll draw the tag again
    Manual man

What unit did you hunt