Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyoming frustration

I guess it's tag soup for me. The elk were thrown off by the weather this year. Together with bad decisions (not mine) well some were and some bad luck I came home empty. I gotta find a new hunting partner and maybee a new area what I've been doing ain't working. Sometimes I think you can try too hard. A perfect storm of weather hunter pressure and poor decisions makes me wonder why I do it.I am thinking of other options including other species and locations including Alaska. and Canada. I hope someone had some success. I heard Colorado was rough too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Keep your head up buddy! We have all ate tag soup at some point if you hunt! There is always next year & you learn from your mistakes. School of Hard Knocks! I see you live Nebraska so you got the whitetail rut ahead of you right?
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its been unusual weather with the elk in nontraditional places this year in WY. My advice is be flexible and look down low. We had elk this summer miles from the mountains. Best bull I've seen was killed by a car 20 miles from where I thought he should have been.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nebugle View Post
    I guess it's tag soup for me. The elk were thrown off by the weather this year. Together with bad decisions (not mine) well some were and some bad luck I came home empty. I gotta find a new hunting partner and maybee a new area what I've been doing ain't working. Sometimes I think you can try too hard. A perfect storm of weather hunter pressure and poor decisions makes me wonder why I do it.I am thinking of other options including other species and locations including Alaska. and Canada. I hope someone had some success. I heard Colorado was rough too.
    Nebugle, don't fall into the trap of considering other species and locations. Continue your quest of Wyoming Elk. There are some very savvy hunters out there willing to give you helpful information. The western thought process seems to give out small pieces of info as opposed to dumping the whole truck load. Collect these small pieces and begin to put the puzzle together. Filter out the sarcastic negative comments as this is part of the process. If you are truthful about your hunting experience, it will be just a matter of time before you touch a nerve and receive useless feedback. My family will slam 4 or 5 quality whitetails this fall due to the fact that we own a fair amount of property and know every crack and crevice of it. We know where they travel. where they hide, where they go when wounded, etc,etc. This has come from years of hunting the same ground. I sure this is the same way it works out west, only on a larger scale. Your frustration says lets try something or somewhere else, but my advice though feeble be, Take a mental break from your trip, and then put your nose to the grindstone and begin preparing for that next Wyoming Elk hunt. This TeddyBear has to go into hibernation for now as I need to rest up for 16 hour shifts for the next 5 days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    I know exactly how you feel and your definitely not the first to feel that way. Wyoming elk hunting is tough! Especially DIY! It had taken years of frustration for me to really figure out the area I hunt in and where the elk like to hang out. I know most the unit like the back of my hand now. The only problem is some years the elk act way different from the year before. It all depends on weather, hunting pressure and other little things. This year, I was hiking like 6 miles in h e l l holes and my dad shot at a bull about 30 feet from his camper! There are times that I get to the top of a canyon and I'm suddenly rim rocked out and for a minute or two, I get the urge to see how far I can throw my bow off the rocks. It definitely doesn't help when you don't have a good hunting partner. I took someone this year that I definitely shouldn't have. I usually go alone but liked the right of company this year.. I regretted it but now I know next year, I will either be more picky or I will just go alone again. Don't give up on Wyoming elk. It will only make it that much better when you finally get one down. What area were you hunting in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You are right, the Colorado first rifle season was rough in the White River Drainage. We had lots of snow and no sunshine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the replies. Too many things went wrong this year to list here but lets just say a good partner is a godsend if you can find one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nebugle View Post
    lets just say a good partner is a godsend if you can find one!
    That's an understatement... I'm still looking!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    nebugle where were you hunting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mostly 92 last weekend 9