Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to pick?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What to pick?

Well I'm new to bow hunting and I'm going to try going after mule deer next year in NV. I've been seeing reviews on broadheads but i'm not sure what to pick since many of them have " bad reviews". I'm interested in Shwacker, rage, muzzy, or G5's. Not sure what to pick so hopefully you've guys have some good advice for me on what to pick. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just like buying a chevy, ford or dodge! Everyone will give you different advice! I shot muzzy for years & they are good. I tried 2 blade rage a few years ago and love them. I've shot several whitetail with them. Any of the 4 you named are good. Shot placement is the key! Good luck!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most any broadhead will kill if it hits the right place with good energy, which is mainly, not entirely, a function of arrow speed at impact.

So, the real thing is how much you practice at long range, not so much what your setup is. Your max distance should be the distance from which you can consistently put all your arrows in a dinner-size paper plate, even in a wind or shooting uphill or downhill.

That said, I like the Slick Trick's, either 100 or 125 grain. They are sharp, they are a fixed head so I don't have to worry about them failing to open and they fly just like field points, which for me is really the most important consideration.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree that it is personal preference. I started with Rage 3 blades because of the hype, but now I'm moving to Muzzy MX3s. I have a 5 arrow quiver and at least 1 or 2 of those broadheads will still be a rage 3 blade. I just finished a good shooting session today and was drilling my Muzzys perfect out to about 80 yards. As long as your bow is tuned right and you have good form, fixed blades will fly just like field points. When I first started, I didn't have the greatest form, so the Rage broadheads allowed me to shoot further distances with high accuracy. Now, I don't notice a difference, but my bow has been tuned to perfection and I have practiced on my form non stop with each shooting session.

Like it has been said, there are tons of options out there. Most are very good options and it will all boil down to your personal preference. Make sure the broadhead you choose is sharp, can be resharpened or it sells extra blades, and it has a legal cutting diameter. Some states allow expandables, some don't. Some states allow a cutting diameter between x inches and y inches. Make sure you are getting legal broadheads and that they fly well with your arrows.

Good Luck and happy testing!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    X4 on shot placement! I've had phenomenal success with two-blade Rages of different flavors; they all work! I had to give up the dream on G5 Montecs after missing three dear and wounding a bull elk (recovered later). It WAS NOT the fault of the broadhead but I gave them up due to the bad JuJu! Muzzy's have probably knocked over more game for me than anything else... in conclusion, they all work if you put them in the right place.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grizz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the Help Guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went with helix after watching a YouTube video on side by side comparison of penetration through a gel mold with shoulder blades inside the mold.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would check the nevada regulations,make sure what ever you choose to hunt with is legal in your state,each state differs to some degree as far as cutting diameter,grains,expandables,etc.in nevada i have used montec g5 100 gr,and also slick trick 4-blade 100 gr.Remember that if the bow is tuned by someone with experiance like a good pro shop,in my opinion thats half the battle in having a quality broadhaed do its job.congrats on your interest in bow hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    It all depends on the setup. But I don't buy into the mechanicals anymore. A bow properly tuned will pretty much shoot every kind of broadhead in the same hole as other Broadheads. But I would recommend a fixed broadhead. Then, you have countless choices and most all do the same thing; by destroying the vitals of a animal (you have to aim and execute a shot to hit then there first).
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Rage 2 blade. Killed many deer with it and no issues. Probably the most forgiving broad head in terms of bow tuning, which generally means better shot placement. I've tested all the fixed blades you mentioned since some states I hunt required fixed. They're all good, pretty much shot the same out to 45 yards, but I got my best groups with slick tricks when comparing at 60 yards.