Thread: Which Pants?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which Pants?

Hey guys - I will be going on my first spike out mule deer hunt this fall. We are playing on going 4 nights.

The real question is, i am having a heck of a time figuring out which pants will fit the bill. I expect the temps to be anywhere from 15 to 40 degrees and a decent chance of snow. Going to be doing a lot of hiking and packing camp in deep and tend to not need much for cover on the lower half of my body.

The obvious first choice would be the sitka moutain or timberline pant but i was hoping i could one of the russell APXG2pants to do the same. Could the L3 or L4 pant do the same, and is the L4 too hot? Has anyone had luck using hiking or climbing non-camo pants that have a good synthetic blend?

Thanks- Eastmans forums have ton of valuable information from guys that have done it, not just read about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heavy pants tend to make you sweat more and that defeats the purpose if your hiking. Try a lighter weight waterproof shell with some mid weight base layers. Any brand of base layer will be good, however, if you do pay attention to odor control, try to pick a base layer that offers some form of it in the materials.

I have tried several pants that are winter weather built. All of them tend to get peeled off within 30 min of hiking due to the heat my body produces when hiking.
    If you plan on still hunting they work well for that. Otherwise the above info should be helpful.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sporthill Adventure Deep Woods - self wicking but also very warm, stretch to provide excellent flexibility. If you do get wet they dry very quickly. I have the jacket too - works great in snow, rain or simply dry weather with some UA base layers. http://www.sporthill.com/product.php...=1655&gender=u

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 4 Posts
    You could also look at Core4Element.com they are new on the scene. The owner and I poured a bottle of water on their element pants and it just puddled up, didn't soak in at all. They are pretty light weight, but rugged enough with knee pads you can take out. Very well built pant. You can find them on camofire.com for a little better price.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought a pair of Swiss military wool pants for $20. they are awesome for temps below 40-50 F. I can still wear them at hotter temps, but I sweat too much. They are quiet and very comfortable and durable. I think they will last a lifetime. they breath, yet are great in full on snow and rain. I treat them with a little nikwax.