Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dick Metcalf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Respectfully, we aren't ignoring you. Unfortunately you must call people ignorant, that's too bad.

I think it's better not to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

But, that's another bumper sticker, isn't it?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippy Hacky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well lets educate some more further for the purpose of clarification of the boiled blood the masses are expressing.

ig·no·rant
    ˈignərənt/
    adjective
    adjective: ignorant
    lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

This is often misunderstood by the ignorant as to mean this.....

stu·pid
    ˈst(y)o͞opid/
    adjective
    lacking intelligence or common sense.

So not being able to see body language, or hear vocal enunciation's to determine ones stance....I am not referring to the American public as stupid, however that alone may be a debate amongst scholars, I am positively stating they are ignorant.

In order to win a battle, one must be educated in the art of war, and know their adversary. Our fight for our guns is not a fight of brawn,( yet ), but of a fight of wits, education, and financial leverage in the form or lobbiest and politicians, amongst whom think banning hi cap mags will make them get used up and go away...(pun on a certain lady of the law in cali).

We the few that feel our right to be the regulated militia the constitution speaks of must first educate ourselves to the full extent of the law that is used to protect our freedom as its recognized. Partial context spouting is being ignorant. Stupid is when we go to war not even trained in how to conduct it and think shear firepower will win.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just cancelled my subscription to G&A..... No seriously I really did!
    See ya on the ridge top!...... By.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Ignorant? Well, there evidently are a whole lot more folks out there who think like I do. Otherwise, how do you suppose the editor and Metcalf were quickly terminated? Lots of folks canceled their subscriptions to G&A. And expressed their displeasure on countless other gun forums. Didn't a constitution framer once say "Those who would give up freedom for safety,deserve neither" or words to that effect. The constitution doesn't mention the safety of the populous, if I remember correctly. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    A large number of people thinking the same thing doesn't mean a lack of ignorance.

A lot of people used to think that the world was flat and that you'd fall off the edge if you went too far out into the ocean.

There were a lot of them, but they were still ignorant of the reality and as a result, wrong.

I'm not saying that you are wrong in this instance, just that your argument that there are many of you, therefore you must be right, doesn't work.

I haven't read Metcalf's article and don't know if I will get a chance to, but from the bits that I've seen, I can understand how what he wrote was just handing the anti-gunners an opportunity they couldn't afford to not exploit.

That was poor judgement on his part. Whether it was worth him being fired, I'm not a subscriber, so I don't have a dog in that fight and so I'm not even going to chime in on it.

As far as training goes, I don't think that it should have to be compulsory, I would think that every responsible gun owner and every citizen who is even remotely serious about his or her duty as a member of the militia would see getting training - even minimal training - as an obligation.

Like many things, any idiot can shoot a gun. What makes the difference is the ability to proficiently OPERATE - not just shoot, but maintain, load, unload and safely handle - a weapon(s).

Demonstrating that ability instills confidence, not only in the shooter, but also in those around the shooter.

Having a common set of training standards developed by gun owners and training centers (Gunsite, etc) and getting those standards recognized by as many LE agencies as possible and getting gun owners to VOLUNTARILY agree to meet them would be the ideal situation and would take one more argument away from the anti-gunners.
    Last edited by JMSZ; 12-02-2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: some clarification
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe in a Creator but I don't believe He gave us an unrestricted right to carry a gun any more than He gave us the unrestricted right to drive a car.

In fact, despite the Declaration of Independence, I'm not sure we are endowed with any inalienable rights. What God actually gave us are inalienable duties.

For example, life and liberty are rights that God in his instructions to Israel regarding their criminal law told them to take away from people after they committed certain crimes. So those rights were not inalienable, but only for those who kept the criminal law. That is also the case in our country today. Those who are innocent should have the right to life and liberty; it is wrong to kill a baby for example. As for the "pursuit of happiness," our founders understood that in a whole different, more responsible sense than people in our narcissistic culture do today who love to talk about their rights and talk little about their duties.

Our right to bear arms comes from the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But, no one should take it to mean that it is an unrestricted right. There is no such thing for those who know right and wrong. Those who use weapons on other people do not deserve the right to carry one, nor should they if they cannot demonstrate proficiency and safety. I'm with CC on this one.
    Last edited by hoshour; 11-28-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Finally, someone with the right answer. Requiring training is not in the second amendment. Who's to say the next batch of politicians won't ask for "Just a bit more"? That's a slippery slope. You all know that if you give a gun-grabbing legislator an inch, they'll take a mile. JMO
    I agree, you should not need to take a drivers test or get a license to practice medicine either. They also are not in the constitution.

This mentality is going to be the death of us gun owners. And while we scream about freedom and the second admentmet, God help any gun owner that excerises their right of freedom of speech. Agree with us or we will crush you. This was the thinking of Nazi Germany and Stalin. I got to say it worked.....for awhile