Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Metcalf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I guess we agree to disagree, but 16 hours of training for a concealed carry permit is surely no infringement of anyones 2nd Amendment rights. No one said anything about Democrat or Republican.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree that if you give them an inch you will lose a mile. It's all about taking baby steps for them (politicians) to keep picking away at our rights and growing government. I didn't read the article and probably won't, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when they start talking about more regulation about anything, let alone the 2nd amendment. No law they will pass will save lives, but they will do their best to make all of us miserable as we jump through their hoops and keep paying for their regulations and programs. Stupid people are always going to exist and they will always do stupid things, politicians in Washington cannot prevent accidents from happening by mandating tests and regs, they just make it more expensive for everybody to play the game.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC.... a lot of people in Colorado must disagree because I see Colorado's new gun laws have some people wanting Colorado to become the 51st state and get away from the crazy, liberals in the state govt. because of in part the ....New Colorado gun laws. People don't want any kind of govt. interference in with firearms ! Remember when Smith & Wesson agreed to some safety things with their guns for the Clinton adm. .....S&W just about went under because of it.
    Last edited by brooks; 11-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The government has never been any good at legislating things like common sense. They are, however, good at legislating legislation, they do that well. That still won't make anyone safer.

"Shall not be infringed" is pretty straight forward.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't seek wisdom. Its just that it shouldn't come from the government, they have a way of screwing that up too.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chippy Hacky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    CC.... a lot of people in Colorado must disagree because I see Colorado's new gun laws have some people wanting Colorado to become the 51st state and get away from the crazy, liberals in the state govt. because of in part the ....New Colorado gun laws. People don't want any kind of govt. interference in with firearms ! Remember when Smith & Wesson agreed to some safety things with their guns for the Clinton adm. .....S&W just about went under because of it.
    The new laws passed here in Colorado had absolutely nothing to do with what this post is about. I was and am against the new laws. This post is about 16 hours of training needed before you get a concealed carry permit in ILL. Thats what the G & A story was about!!!

I have a question for all of you....How many of you actually have a carry permit? If you have a permit and took a class to get it, then what I am about to say will not be new. A lot of the instruction concerns the laws (of your state) concerning concealed carry, what you can and can't do as far as where you carry. Familiarization of how to conceal carry. Scenarios of situations you can encounter and how to react. Practice firing in all types of enviornments (darkness, crowds, indoors, etc) and more.

I you really think that learning how to be proficient in situations and circumstances that you can encounter when carry a concealed weapon is infringing on your 2nd ammendment rights, you really don't know much about concealed carry! Its not just stuffing a handgun in your waistband and walking around in public. If you excersize your right to carry a concealed weapon, you had better know what you are doing.

Rant over!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I believe everyone has good intentions here. I just renewed my concealed carry license which I did take classes for. My shooting this time was very good, impressive even. My wife is just waiting for her cc to arrive in the mail. She went to class and passed her test. When she told me in decided to find out how much she had learned. She had learned enough that I was satisfied it was fine for her to conceal carry. Her shooting ability was never in question. We could get in real trouble quick with a mistake. Having pointed out the need for training Ido agree with Colorado Cowboy, we should have training and background checks too. The problem comes from over reach and incroachment I call training creep. Rules change, procedures are not uniform, states are not uniform, some states do not follow the constitution.
    The more attention I pay to what the founding fathers knew the more I am impressed. Maybe because they had fresh memories of a loss of liberty.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I you really think that learning how to be proficient in situations and circumstances that you can encounter when carry a concealed weapon is infringing on your 2nd ammendment rights, you really don't know much about concealed carry! Its not just stuffing a handgun in your waistband and walking around in public. If you excersize your right to carry a concealed weapon, you had better know what you are doing.

I really DO think having to take a mandated course to be proficient to carry IS infringing on my 2nd amendment rights. My thought is everyone should take personal responsibility to learn how to properly own, use, a firearm if they choose to carry one. Having the government step in and tell us what we have to do only makes us that much less free. I don't think we should even have to apply for permits either. I'll never understand why everyone wants the government to step in and save us from ourselves? Will there always be "stupid people" as someone else pointed out doing stupid things. You bet! The government interfering in our lives won't fix that. "Shall not be infringed" is pretty clear to me too.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's the "training creep" and over reach that xtreme talks about that is the reason to put our foot on the brakes now, b/c we won't stop them but we can slow them down a little. It's not that somewhat of a class and background check is out of the question for me, but they won't stop adding to it every time some nut goes and shoots up a crowd of people.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd think most people will come across a firearm sometime in their life and should at least know how to safely handle it.

I think gun safety should be taught in school just like reading, math, etc. with shooting as an optional course. It worked in the old days, guns didn't need to be regulated because everyone respected them as a useful tool that could be dangerous if used incorrectly. There was not an irrational fear of guns from those who don't understand them. It would still work today, good luck convincing anyone though.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just now refreshed what Patrick Henry said in his speech in 1775. I am not quite ready to go that far. Death as I have seen it seems to warrant more compromise. My real feeling would be what CoHiCountry said, that looks like the only way to preserve our amendment rights.
    It is now evident that our leaders have no intentions of abiding by the constitution. Our Supreme Court has lost its way.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post: