Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dick Metcalf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a CC permit as well, I also learned gun safety from my father when I was a boy. I didn't need any training that I can think of.
    In Wyoming you don't need to take a course and pass a test. Our streets aren't running red with blood like some predicted. I like our concealed carry laws....there aren't any. I only got the permit so I can carry in other states. The only other state that I ever consider moving to, would be Arizona.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I really DO think having to take a mandated course to be proficient to carry IS infringing on my 2nd amendment rights. My thought is everyone should take personal responsibility to learn how to properly own, use, a firearm if they choose to carry one. Having the government step in and tell us what we have to do only makes us that much less free. I don't think we should even have to apply for permits either. I'll never understand why everyone wants the government to step in and save us from ourselves? Will there always be "stupid people" as someone else pointed out doing stupid things. You bet! The government interfering in our lives won't fix that. "Shall not be infringed" is pretty clear to me too.
    In principle, I agree with you and a lot of others, government shouldn't be involved.

In reality, there is always some idiot who who does something stupid and can't/won't handle his weapon in a safe and responsible manner and causes people to call for more laws.

Open, unloaded carry was, until recently, legal in this state and there were people who would deliberately carry in public just to get the police to respond so that they could argue with the police about their rights and make a scene.

That is both stupid and irresponsible in any situation, but considering recent history, it's a good way to get yourself shot, not to mention making gun owners in general look like a bunch of idiots.

So, personal responsibility cannot be relied on.

Like CC, I have no issue with a training course, with the caveat that it is not excessive in length or cost.

Those courses protect the rest of us because we can then show that if somebody did something stupid and/or illegal, they knew the law and they did whatever it was anyways.

As far as the slippery slope goes, again, in principle, I agree, but in reality, it doesn't matter.

There are a lot of people in this country who believe that a woman has a right to have an abortion and kill her child, but those same people believe that same woman has no right to carry a gun to defend her child.

As long as there are a significant number of people in this country with that view of the world, we are stuck on a slippery slope and the laws passed or blocked only vary how fast we slide down that slope.

If we can at least hold the line with reasonable (by responsible gun owner's standards) training requirements, then we slow the descent.
    Last edited by JMSZ; 11-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's really simple........No 16 hour training mandated by the govt !!!!! Preach firearms training, make training available to everyone easily, get your kids involved with shooting, buy them a gun and teach them how to safely use it, promote gun safety.... but NEVER let the govt. require a mandatory 16 hour training course because that will only be the start of things to come !!

If you haven't figured it out yet more than half of the govt. doesn't want ANYONE to own a handgun . I have a CCW in several states. Without my list in front of me I think I can legally carry in about 35 states. Talk to some of the people in NY or CA . Look at what the NY govt. just did to gun owners there and some of the people here want more govt. mandated laws on firearms ??????

My nephew, a US Marine came back from Iraq in 08 he was trained on all the weapons the USMC has . He came home went to the V.A. hospital in town because he was told after 2 combat tours that is what would be best....Now it's Nov. 20013 and he can not get a CCW because he did what they told him he should do. He now has a great job, two great kids and a wife, put his life on the line but old Uncle Sam won't let him carry a gun for his own protection in his own country. Not just no but.... Hell No !!!!!
    Last edited by brooks; 11-06-2013 at 08:44 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's truly a shame about your nephew brooks, for him to sacrifice and risk his own life to fight for the freedoms and liberties they will not allow him to personally enjoy makes me sick. That really shows a lot of what's wrong with this country.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by brooks View Post
    It's really simple........No 16 hour training mandated by the govt !!!!! Preach firearms training, make training available to everyone easily, get your kids involved with shooting, buy them a gun and teach them how to safely use it, promote gun safety.... but NEVER let the govt. require a mandatory 16 hour training course because that will only be the start of things to come !!

If you haven't figured it out yet more than half of the govt. doesn't want ANYONE to own a handgun . I have a CCW in several states. Without my list in front of me I think I can legally carry in about 35 states. Talk to some of the people in NY or CA . Look at what the NY govt. just did to gun owners there and some of the people here want more govt. mandated laws on firearms ??????

My nephew, a US Marine came back from Iraq in 08 he was trained on all the weapons the USMC has . He came home went to the V.A. hospital in town because he was told after 2 combat tours that is what would be best....Now it's Nov. 20013 and he can not get a CCW because he did what they told him he should do. He now has a great job, two great kids and a wife, put his life on the line but old Uncle Sam won't let him carry a gun for his own protection in his own country. Not just no but.... Hell No !!!!!
    You are using reason and logic.

The problem is that we are dealing with people who are scared of an inanimate object. They don't use reason and logic, so you can't expect them to understand or agree with it.

There are simply too many people in this country who have little or no exposure to guns and what exposure they do get comes from the nightly news.

They have no personal use for guns and so they see guns and dangerous and unnecessary. Your responsible use of your gun will do nothing to change their mind because they will be worried about the one Dylan Clebold (sp?) who might, possibly, maybe show up in their neighborhood.

Ask an anti-gunner why they don't call for the banning of the manufacture and sale of all cars, since cars kill as many or more people as guns.

They use a car on a daily basis, so that would impact their life, so it would never happen.

What happened to your nephew is a load of crap, but unfortunately, it is a result of the knee-jerk "do something" culture that has invaded military leadership.

Too many guys were coming home and killing themselves. Leadership knows full well that if a guy really wants to kill himself, he will do it. The only way to keep him from getting to that point is getting him the proper treatment, which isn't happening and won't happen.

It's easier to red flag anybody who shows any signs - which is half the guys coming back from combat - and keep them from owning a gun and leadership can say that they "did something".

That policy is also unconstitutional, but that's never stopped the federal government before.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My nephew was in Iraq when things were really bad. He fought in the battle of Fallujah. He's told me a lot about it and is very proud of his service and the Marines. When he decided to apply for a CCW and was been turned down that really hit him hard. He had been telling me for his first gun he was going to buy a Colt .45 acp Marine but some govt. agency has said .....nope, you went to war for us, you've seen combat, we don't think a guy like you needs a handgun and that's with a good military record and an honorable discharge . He carried a Beretta 9 mm as a side arm in Iraq and a M204..... Dick Metcalf can k.m.a......Hell No !!!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brooks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My nephew was in Iraq when things were really bad. He fought in the battle of Fallujah. He's told me a lot about it and is very proud of his service and the Marines. When he decided to apply for a CCW and was been turned down that really hit him hard. He had been telling me for his first gun he was going to buy a Colt .45 acp Marine but some govt. agency has said .....nope, you went to war for us, you've seen combat, we don't think a guy like you needs a handgun and that's with a good military record and an honorable discharge . He carried a Beretta 9 mm as a side arm in Iraq and a M204..... Dick Metcalf can k.m.a......Hell No !!!
    That just goes to show just how screwed-up our Federal Government is. Denying a Combat Veteran and Hero one of the Constitutional rights he risked life and limb to protect. Again, Regulations suck.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Brooks,

I don't know if your nephew has already tried this, but it sounds like either the VA or the Marines put the label on him.

There is an appeals process that he can go through to have the prohibition removed, I'm not sure what it is, but if he's still got any buddies in the Marines, I would suggest that he go that route first. Getting his old chain of command involved will be a lot more effective and take less time, partly because he's a fellow Marine and partly because they probably know nothing about it and will be screaming p***ed when they realize that they will likely end up in the same situation.

Worst case, he can go through the VA, but (and he's probably well aware of this) he will need to be prepared to track down the right people to get it done because there's a good chance nobody else will know what he's talking about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Don't know if anyone has seen it but Metcalf was fired and the editor resigned due to the backlash G&A got...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep, Metcalf was fired. Never cared for that jerk anyway. Zumbo either.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to trkytrack2 For This Useful Post: