Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky hunter View Post
    The high the bc of the bullet the better an on most bullets the bigger they are the higher the bc is a big bullet with a high bc will out run a smaller faster bullet down range an less wind drift I just went with the 168 to lighten up the recoil
    Good point. A friend shoots a 257 weatherby and I shoot a 264WM for deer. I loaded for both and we learned that with a 250yd zero his gun shooting 110gr bullets fast is 2" flatter at 400yds, but mine drifts 2" less in the wind with slower higher BC 140gr bullets. Two different ways of getting pretty much the same trajectory at that range. The difference does increase with range, but it shows that at normal ranges there is more than one way to get similar results.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    mcseal2,

I'm right with you with your aversion to recoil. I've fired rifles that were just too painful. Merely looking at mega-magnum cartridges causes me to flinch. And reality is they aren't going to kill any better than a .308 Win. I've seen studly dudes beaten up by .300 Win Mag rifles. And were I to buy a .308 caliber mag, it would be a .300 Win Mag. I know my limitation, and it's 7MM Rem Mag recoil.

I, too, shoot for accuracy; however, I'm not quite as technical. I do examine sectional density, mostly for penetration purposes. I don't consider wind drift. I stop at bench shooting accuracy. The reason is if it's too windy for any bullet, it's time to close distance. If wind is in my favor, I'll stalk. If not, I'll wait it out hoping game comes to me.
    Last edited by SansSouci; 11-24-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    MultiSpeciesHunter,

Your right on target with big bore rifles. "40 Years with the .45/70" is a book by Paul Matthews. He began big game hunting with an '06. Then he was introduced to the .45/70. He wrote that game he shot with huge, slow, paper-patched lead bullets dropped dead in their tracks. Were I to move to Alaska where grizzly bears are as common as jack rabbits in the Mojave, I'd own a fast-handling, lever action .45/70 with stout hand loads or stuff from Buffalo Bore. The drawback with big bores is they hurt like hell when bench shooting.

When I first started deer hunting 40 years ago, an old-timer used a 7x57. He also had an 8x57 that he used for game larger than deer.

The equation was explained to me when I was quite young and is as follows: big gun>big recoil>big miss. One of my long ago hunting buddies referred to the MM in 7MM Rem Mag as mighty miss.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You all are right a lot of guys can shoot a mag mine hurt like hell untill I did some work on it an made y own load now you can shoot it on the bench with one hand everyone thinks Im crazy but the recoil isnt that bad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My 3150 fps load in my 30-06 doesn't kick any harder that a 2900 fps load, I've shot them both. But the ballistic performance is much better with the 3150 load. just my experience.

I also believe that felt recoil is a result of bullet weight more than velocity. The heavier the bullet, the more recoil. I shoot a lot of B/P 1000 yard matches. When i increase the bullet weight from around 350 to 500 (with a similiar powder charge, the recoils in tremendously increased!

I also have a MB on my .300 Wby that screws on/off. I use it at the range, but not in the field. On or off, accuracy not effected.

My normal antelope/deer rifle is a 25-06, the .30's are usually for elk or larger animals.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your right Cowboy bullet weight makes a big difference you been loading a long time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE= you been loading a long time[/QUOTE]

Started loading helping my Dad when I was 12....60 years ago. When I was 15 I bought my own loader from Herters. Been loading everything since then. Started out reloading cause it was lots cheaper than factory ammo. Not as much so now. The main advantage as I see now, is that I can tailor my loads to each gun I own and outperform the factory stuff easily.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley