Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Mule Deer Problems / Public land access / Point restrictions

I posted this on another thread, but I thought I would included a topic in the Wyoming thread

i am not a big point restriction guy. we shot a mulie b/w sundance and upton once that was almost 28" wide and 24" tall..............2x2. It was the biggest 2x2 i had ever seen, and a trophy in anyones book. and genetically, should be culled. having to pass on that buck to me is just wrong. So I would avoid point restrictions

I think there are a few changes that can be made to hunting / mule deer in wyoming. Take region C.......it encompasses several Units (17,18,19,20, 21....mayeb some others).......yet with 1 Region C tag, I can hunt all those units. what happens, is the larger more accessible public areas get hammered.....really really bad. and every forkie gets shot. so you have bad over-crowding and small buck size. solution...........get rid of general and region tags, and go unit specific for the entire state, resident or nonresident. You apply for a.......Unit 20 tag, you hunt unit 20. and that is it. set quotas per unit. take into account amount of private land vs public. this would spread out hunters and help with buck recruitment.

secondly, wyoming has a HUGE problem with private land vs public land access. I can think of 2 larger public tracts in Region C that it is virtually impossible to get to without a helicopter due to crossing private lands to get to them. yet.....those roads were put in with taxpayer dollars, maintained by taxpayer dollars......yet access is restricted by "private entities".......this is killing hunting. and frankly, it is not right or fair. My federal tax dollars pay for public property just as much as a resident from wyoming does, if it is federal lands. I would pass a law REQUIRING public access to and from public parcels larger than........who knows how large a tract say 2 square miles.....across private lands with no tresspass fee. You could require guns to be in a case......you cannot step out of the vehicle on those lands.......or something. But having landlocked public lands is a travesty. And it ruins hunting in other areas. It concentrates hunter density and kills off too many deer. Access issues have to be looked at.

I know many people might not agree with me, but I think if you worked on access and micromanaged units, you would see a huge increase in the mule deer population and buck size.

and.....I am not bashing landowners. Its the law, and if I was a landowner, I would do the same. The problem is the way the laws read. Change the laws to make public lands easier to access.

what say you guys???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree 100% but the fact that the Wyoming government is run by ranchers for ranchers. Nothing like that will ever happen. It's just like corner jumping

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I envision some sort of Walk-In program for Road access. Maybe even a extra stamp/fee like the Conservation stamp. Each area could have "access roads" on a map just like the Walk-In lands are labeled. You get your access stamp / fee and you can cross those lands. Procedes could go to ranchers for access.

Just some ideas I had after hearing people complain about mule deer hunting in Wyoming. I think changes could be made if people were willing to try and not base their opinions solely on self-gain.

anyone else? would love to hear from some other residents of the state.

This is jus ta fun discussion.......not try to argue or upset anyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't want to come across as anti-landowner. I am not at all. As with everything, there are a few bad apples that ruin things. I would just like to hear some ideas on improving mule deer hunting in Wyoming. and I think Hunter Densities and land Access are 2 very big pieces of the puzzle in making better mule deer hunting in Wyoming.

and in general......especially in my state of Wisconsin......land access is really limiting hunting opportunities. We have whole generations of potential hunters not getting into the sport because of no land access. We have super liberal seasons, liberal bag limits....and yet hunting is dying because without Big Money (leases, land owning, outfitters), there are no good places to hunt. So access is a major issue for our sport. If it ever gets to the point where you have to buy land or hire an outfitter,.......our sport dies. and with it, our rights and the wildlife itself. This is a major issue.
    Last edited by Ilovethewest; 11-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    IMO the problem with improving BLM access is it would make those areas harder to draw. The reason these areas can be drawn every year or have leftover tags is because of the access issues. Generally in WY the better the access the harder the tag is to draw. Also those hard to get to chunks of BLM can be the best hunting if you can find a way to get to them and are willing to walk. If there were public roads going into those areas there would be lots of hunters in them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A 28 inch fork horn? You were in unit five just outside of upton weren't you ilovethewest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't remember the unit. My uncle shot it when I was a young kid in like 8th grade before I could hunt (a good 20 years ago!). We were on a ranch b/w sundance and upton. It was a brute. lots of mass too. I forget the exact measurements. Maybe it wasn't as big as I remember. I haven't seen the deer in years, but I am pretty sure my memory is correct. I should meaure it up the next time I get to my uncles place.

one way or the other, it was a buck few would pass on!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovethewest View Post
    I don't remember the unit. My uncle shot it when I was a young kid in like 8th grade before I could hunt (a good 20 years ago!). We were on a ranch b/w sundance and upton. It was a brute. lots of mass too. I forget the exact measurements. Maybe it wasn't as big as I remember. I haven't seen the deer in years, but I am pretty sure my memory is correct. I should meaure it up the next time I get to my uncles place.

one way or the other, it was a buck few would pass on!
    I agree I would have shot it and even if there was a point limitation it would probably be over looked when it comes to a deer that size. The genetics in that area are horrible it is really common to see large fork horns there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    the ranches we hunted was the Dillon ranch, and also some on the Hamilton ranch. When the father, Leon, died, the family told rights out to outfitters. Not sure about the Hamilton ranch if they are outfitted or not. Couple of chunks of school land we hunted too. I miss hunting the wooded areas of NE Wyoming. while I never got to actually hunt it myself, I was along on many hunts as a kid. From what I hear, those areas are even more locked up than they were when I was a kid.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep locked up even more and the access granted is even harder to achieve. That buck was around inyan kara mountain. There are even now a couple bucks that are 2 or 3 points and the 3 point is figured to be around 34 to 36" wide. There is a road that takes you from the west side of kara mtn and you can access that land. Every year there are hundreds of hunters trying to get to those deer. As soon as the season ends, the deer come out and people just stare at them. Neat to know that your uncle probably has a great great ancestor of those deer!!