Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,332
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked 322 Times in 251 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyohunter View Post
    A 28 inch fork horn?
    Not as unusual as you might think. I have one mounted around that size. Shot it in the High Sierras in Calif in 1969. Look at my Album, last picture (only double) on the bottom. I have also seen several like it here in Colorado. They are pretty unusual looking and do make a great wall hanger.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with most of what has been said about gaining access to public lands. A good portion of the public lands that are landlocked are leased to landowners for grazing (at a pretty cheap cost too I think). IMHO if the land is leased to the landowner, then the public should have access to it.

    I agree with ILovetheWest about requiring guns cased, unloaded....whatever they want while we cross private lands; but if public land is landlocked and leased to a landowner, there is no reason why the everyday sportsman should not have access to it.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stig87 For This Useful Post:


  4. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stevensville, MT
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm late to the party and rarely comment on such forums, but I have to state my agreement with you on this issue. Some of the best public land hunting areas in Montana are completely surrounded by private lands which do not allow access. They however, use our public lands as their private playgrounds to recreate on - or even profit from by charging hunters exhorbitant amounts for access privilege to hunt our public lands (essentially blocking access to local hunters).

    OK, off my soapbox.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to MT628 For This Useful Post:


  6. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    462
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig87 View Post
    I agree with most of what has been said about gaining access to public lands. A good portion of the public lands that are landlocked are leased to landowners for grazing (at a pretty cheap cost too I think). IMHO if the land is leased to the landowner, then the public should have access to it.

    I agree with ILovetheWest about requiring guns cased, unloaded....whatever they want while we cross private lands; but if public land is landlocked and leased to a landowner, there is no reason why the everyday sportsman should not have access to it.
    I agree wholeheartedly Stig. If this were anywhere east of the missisippi river, and the parcels landlocked were as enormous as some of them here in Wyoming are, they would condemn enough ground to provide public access. And as previously stated in an earlier post, the ranchers and AG in general have a strangle hold on our legislators. They do what Ranchers want, because most of them (including Governor Mead) are ranchers themselves. Sportspeople aren't allowed free access to public lands for 2 or 3 months of the year, while ranchers have access 24/7/12 and it won't change anytime soon. Heck, even the G&F are the Ranchers bitches. My 2 cents.

  7. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly Stig. If this were anywhere east of the missisippi river, and the parcels landlocked were as enormous as some of them here in Wyoming are, they would condemn enough ground to provide public access. And as previously stated in an earlier post, the ranchers and AG in general have a strangle hold on our legislators. They do what Ranchers want, because most of them (including Governor Mead) are ranchers themselves. Sportspeople aren't allowed free access to public lands for 2 or 3 months of the year, while ranchers have access 24/7/12 and it won't change anytime soon. Heck, even the G&F are the Ranchers bitches. My 2 cents.
    I'm sorry to say that I mostly agree with what has been said. Ranchers own the legislature and the G&F. I'm also sorry to say that some slob hunters are our enemies. Ranchers are put off by the few who inevitably screw things up for the rest of us. Every year another landowner pulls a property out of WIA or HMA due to some dipsh*T who trashes their place or does something else stupid. A single moron can end it for the rest of us.

    I commend the G&F for continuing to seek out opportunities for sportsmen. But their hands are tied to a great extent. They can't compete with the money of some who can pay thousands for outfitting leases. And, quite frankly, a good outfitter who can pay will have less of an impact on the land than an unlimited WIA.

    It's the lucky sportsman who can get cheap access to prime ground. Most of us have to face the music that we have our work cut out for us to find good hunting on heavily hunted areas. This good hunting exists, it's just incredibly hard to find, and even tougher on the body.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:


  9. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    542
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 86 Times in 65 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I'm sorry to say that I mostly agree with what has been said. Ranchers own the legislature and the G&F. I'm also sorry to say that some slob hunters are our enemies. Ranchers are put off by the few who inevitably screw things up for the rest of us. Every year another landowner pulls a property out of WIA or HMA due to some dipsh*T who trashes their place or does something else stupid. A single moron can end it for the rest of us.
    There is a ranch outside of Centennial WY called the 91 Ranch, they do not allow any hunting what so ever. So they have a resident herd of elk that lives there year round and when the bullets start flying a whole bunch more goes there. You can go out in the middle of the day and see 300 head just milling around. Just last weekend I witnessed a hunter take down a gate, leave it down and drive onto the ranch to glass the herd. The gate was posted, he just didn't care. These are the morons we are dealing with.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:


  11. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    462
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    I'm sorry to say that I mostly agree with what has been said. Ranchers own the legislature and the G&F. I'm also sorry to say that some slob hunters are our enemies. Ranchers are put off by the few who inevitably screw things up for the rest of us. Every year another landowner pulls a property out of WIA or HMA due to some dipsh*T who trashes their place or does something else stupid. A single moron can end it for the rest of us.

    I commend the G&F for continuing to seek out opportunities for sportsmen. But their hands are tied to a great extent. They can't compete with the money of some who can pay thousands for outfitting leases. And, quite frankly, a good outfitter who can pay will have less of an impact on the land than an unlimited WIA.

    It's the lucky sportsman who can get cheap access to prime ground. Most of us have to face the music that we have our work cut out for us to find good hunting on heavily hunted areas. This good hunting exists, it's just incredibly hard to find, and even tougher on the body.
    Agreed, one bad apple spoils the rest. I've seen the idiots going off road and the "MudBoggers" ruining roads or making their own.
    This year I saw 4 occupied camp trailers on Wyoming State land (Illegal) and they didn't seem to care when I told them so. That's what gets state land closed (except for ranchers). By the way, from what I've seen...the outfitters lease the prime ranches and the G&F gets access to lands from ranchers who can't lease it to outfitters because of lack of game, land that's overgrazed to the point where a grasshopper would have to pack a lunch.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:


  13. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    462
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 56 Times in 46 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig87 View Post
    I agree with most of what has been said about gaining access to public lands. A good portion of the public lands that are landlocked are leased to landowners for grazing (at a pretty cheap cost too I think). IMHO if the land is leased to the landowner, then the public should have access to it.

    I agree with ILovetheWest about requiring guns cased, unloaded....whatever they want while we cross private lands; but if public land is landlocked and leased to a landowner, there is no reason why the everyday sportsman should not have access to it.
    Stig, the public land rancher is leasing the GRASS, he doesn't own the wildlife, and shouldn't have one damned thing to say about what gets hunted as long as it's legal and in season. Heck, they even get to negotiate gas & oil lease agreements and THEY get a cut along with the state, sometimes far in excess of what their lease payment is. A stacked deck, to say the least.

  14. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Stig, the public land rancher is leasing the GRASS, he doesn't own the wildlife, and shouldn't have one damned thing to say about what gets hunted as long as it's legal and in season. Heck, they even get to negotiate gas & oil lease agreements and THEY get a cut along with the state, sometimes far in excess of what their lease payment is. A stacked deck, to say the least.
    It's all about money. The rancher will do anything to perpetuate the lifestyle. I guess it's not fair to lump them all in one category, as many do understand that we need to have a place to hunt, but most are after the all mighty dollar. I saw a trespassing sign the other day that categorizes the sentiment of many a landowner. This was on a headstone on a mock grave (with boots sticking out of the rocks): Here lies the last SOB who tried to tresspass

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:


  16. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a rancher and public land hunter , I have to say most of you should just pull up your big girl panties and get over your self. Most rancher have lived and worked thier land for generations. The reason it is still government land is because its marginal land and most likely the government doesnt control the water it's private. Now if you want to change access it will have to be done with deeded access. But what you'll end up with is as many people as on all the other public lands. Funny how everybody wants to curse the rancher but where do they want to hunt? His land because its managed and healthy. My opinion is the first rule that should be changed is the wilderness outfitter law, what total crap.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wyoming pronhorn unit 21 public land
    By rknapp in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
  2. 2012 2B Public Land DIY mule deer
    By dhershberger in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
  4. Wyoming Buck, Public Land DIY.
    By airwingdevildog in forum Field Photos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 12:16 PM
  5. Salida area anyone? No point restrictions?
    By Walleye in forum Colorado
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •