Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I guess you don't hunt antelope where I used to. Those 3 walk-in areas were terribly overgrazed, even the sagebrush.
    I didn't say all WIA's were great, I merely stated there are some very good ones out there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't remember saying I hate ranchers. I seem to remember talking about some fine people that used to let me and my family hunt. Great people. and they were ranchers.

But to say there are not problems? that's either na´ve or you are just not being honest.

I will use a real life example.

There is a chunk of BLM, about 4x5 miles. It is completely landlocked. That BLM land is paid for with tax dollars. There is a road that goes through about 20 miles of private land that is maintain by the state/fed road dollars, and that road leads to the BLM land. Yet, it is a "private" road and nobody can drive on it b/c outfitters have it shut down. Now explain to me how having a publically maintaited road, leading to a publicly bought land, a public maintained land......yet having it all shut down except for a few local ranchers.............tell me how that is fair to the taxpayer? tell me how that isn't government "welfare"??? Everyone else is paying for all of that, yet the only people using the resource is a few ranchers.

The problem lies with the bad apples............for every slob hunter out there ruining it for hunters, there is a slob rancher ruining the image of ranchers.

Things can be done to improve things. But it will take both sides to work together. I am sure that access to the 4x5 mile area I am talking could be obtained. But it would take cooperation and a willingness to do what is RIGHT, not just what helps yourself.

These issues are complex. But having anger and hatred toward the other side does no good in the long run.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovethewest For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    In Wyoming, if you can get public land, you can hop the fence and hunt on it. If it is land locked public land you can hunt on it if you can get to it. If you have to skydive onto it then so be it. It seems to be the same as Colorado. If you can float down a creek without touching the bottom or the banks, you can get to public land that way. Can't own the water here. The dirt underneath the water is a different story though. I will say that there are some good landowners and bad landowners. I have seen a lot post signs on their leased lands that say a person cant hunt. They wouldn't be able to do a thing about it if someone walked in and hunted though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovethewest View Post
    I don't remember saying I hate ranchers. I seem to remember talking about some fine people that used to let me and my family hunt. Great people. and they were ranchers.

But to say there are not problems? that's either na´ve or you are just not being honest.

I will use a real life example.

There is a chunk of BLM, about 4x5 miles. It is completely landlocked. That BLM land is paid for with tax dollars. There is a road that goes through about 20 miles of private land that is maintain by the state/fed road dollars, and that road leads to the BLM land. Yet, it is a "private" road and nobody can drive on it b/c outfitters have it shut down. Now explain to me how having a publically maintaited road, leading to a publicly bought land, a public maintained land......yet having it all shut down except for a few local ranchers.............tell me how that is fair to the taxpayer? tell me how that isn't government "welfare"??? Everyone else is paying for all of that, yet the only people using the resource is a few ranchers.

The problem lies with the bad apples............for every slob hunter out there ruining it for hunters, there is a slob rancher ruining the image of ranchers.

Things can be done to improve things. But it will take both sides to work together. I am sure that access to the 4x5 mile area I am talking could be obtained. But it would take cooperation and a willingness to do what is RIGHT, not just what helps yourself.

These issues are complex. But having anger and hatred toward the other side does no good in the long run.
    If this is a true county road and maintained with county tax dollars, then someone should go to the county comissioners meeting and ask why access/use of it is closed. If the county has actual ownership of the road, then it should be open to the public. Hire a lawyer and go after them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozeIn View Post
    x2 nv-hunter It seems like a new age of "entitlement hunters" is forming, The burn the farmer and hang the rancher mentality seems to go in to overdrive this time of year.... Any new land access needs and CAN be done with land trades, to say you would force access through private is absurd.
    Not absurd to me, here in the South we call them easments and right of ways.

I dont know what the answer is, but something should be done to ensure the lay man a chance to hunt. Big Money and capitalism is not the best friend for hunting. I know there are plenty of places to hunt, but it appears a lot of those places are not quality places to hunt (some places are almost void of animals, and Im not just talking WY).

I do like the micro-manged idea though.