Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Area 20 or 21 Antelope 2014 Wyoming

Thinking about putting in for one of these units with 3-4 buddies next year. Not terribly concerned with trophy quality just looking to get these guys feet wet out of state. Any thoughts on these areas? Probably buy a Region M deer tag as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Both of the units you list have difficult public access, so unless you have an in with a landowner or know something the rest of the public doesn't, I'd look elsewhere. Nothing worse than thinking you're in a slam dunk unit only to find out all the land is locked up. If you're not concerned all that much with trophy potential, find a unit with decent draw odds and put in there. I'm sure you could find an "average" unit with odds that are doable. Buy a preference point with your application, so your odds increase the following year if you're unsuccessful the first time around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MWScott72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks MwScott72. My wife and I have 2 points each but these other guys don't have any. I'll do the research and see what I can't come up with. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    Thanks MwScott72. My wife and I have 2 points each but these other guys don't have any. I'll do the research and see what I can't come up with. Thanks again.
    Remember when you put in as a group or party, your points will be averaged. If there are 4 of you and 2 have 2 pts and 2 have none, your party average will be 1.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Remember when you put in as a group or party, your points will be averaged. If there are 4 of you and 2 have 2 pts and 2 have none, your party average will be 1.
    Thanks CC.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    A thought is that you and your wife could draw a decent unit and your buddies could draw a surrounding unit that requires 0 points. That way you could share camp but still hunt your own areas. This may pose travel issues, but at least 1/2 of you will have a decent unit to hunt and the other two could get their feet wet and still have a good time helping you guys hunt.

Or you could look into the spec app and research what units can be drawn with 1 point that have decent access.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hunted unit 20 and 21 both this year, only hunted one morning in 20 so I can't really say too much about it but if I were going to hunt either unit again it would only be with private land access arranged before hand. I will say the area is very scenic and I had a great time just taking pictures, there were antelope on public land but the public spots were so crowded for the most part that it was very unlikely that a stalk could be completed without interference from other hunters. Saw guys chasing pronghorns with ATV's herding them onto private land too. Part of the area was inaccessible due to muddy roads which concentrated people even more. I would recommend looking at other units, Kaycee is worth a stop though, they have a small museum that was fun to see.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The OP idea of a deer tag in Region M is also probably a big mistake as there is very little accessible public land in the region that holds deer to any extent. Licenses were cut way back a year ago and this season the doe permits issued were also limited strictly to private lands because deer numbers have been going down. I would strongly suggest that unless you also have access to a ranch in that region that you forget that idea too!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    There are some good units you can draw with 2-3 points in the reg draw and 1 point in the sp draw. I would not burn points on a unit with marginal access. There are to many units with good access to deal with poor access if you have points. There are plenty of units with access issues that you can draw 2nd choice or even have left over tags you can hunt if you do your research if you just want to go hunting and wont be upset when most of the antelope are 100 yards from the BLM line on private property. 20 and 21 both had leftover tags last year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Region M deer also had leftovers.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member