Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR triggers

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts

AR triggers

I am building an AR in .204 Ruger. I have an Aero precision upper and lower and the rest will be mostly DMPS. This is the first AR I have built, owned or used outside of the Army. I plan to use it for varmets and target shooting. I am trying to decide on a trigger for it. I really dont like the standard triggers so I want to put something better in it. I would be happy with something comparable to a standard Winchester model 70, Remington 700 trigger. My biggest dilemma is if I should use a 1 or 2 stage trigger. I am currently leaning toward the new DMPS 2 stage or RRA 2 stage but Im not sure that I have ever shot anything with a 2 stage so Im not quite sure what to expect from them. I would like to stay under $150. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I am building an AR in .204 Ruger. I have an Aero precision upper and lower and the rest will be mostly DMPS. This is the first AR I have built, owned or used outside of the Army. I plan to use it for varmets and target shooting. I am trying to decide on a trigger for it. I really dont like the standard triggers so I want to put something better in it. I would be happy with something comparable to a standard Winchester model 70, Remington 700 trigger. My biggest dilemma is if I should use a 1 or 2 stage trigger. I am currently leaning toward the new DMPS 2 stage or RRA 2 stage but Im not sure that I have ever shot anything with a 2 stage so Im not quite sure what to expect from them. I would like to stay under $150. Thanks!
    Musket Man....get a Timney.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Musket Man....get a Timney.
    I have looked at them but they are a bit out of my budget right now. I dont have alot of money to spend on it so Im looking for the best bang for my buck on this gun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Rock River with a 2 stage trigger and really like it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not a fan of two stage, all my bolt guns are 2lb crisp single stage and I like to keep things simple. I had a Chip McCormick in my old AR and loved it. I'm not sure what my gunsmith put in the new one but it works great. It required anti-walk pins to keep from being a burst fire gun though. My advice would be save up for a good trigger, you get what you pay for. An accurate AR really benefits from a good trigger especially if it is a lighter barreled version. The ergonomics of an AR seem to make a good trigger even more important than on a bolt gun to me at least.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does a 2 stage feel much different then a single stage? Honestly I have never shot a gun with a really good trigger or a 2 stage trigger. I am used to triggers like the model 1894 Win, model 70 Win and 700 Rem come with because that is what I have shot most of my life, well all of my life other then in the army. I never shot well with the M16/M4 because of the trigger and I really believe I could qualify higher with my model 70 22-250 then an M4 with a standard trigger. So I am just looking for a decent trigger at a reasonable price.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah the single stage is crisp and has no creep or take-up, a good one should feel like a glass rod breaking just a real clean snap at the desired pull weight. The two stage has a good amount of take-up then a firm feel and crisp break. Two stage works fine, but I prefer the single stage. I had a Rock River AR with the two stage and I replaced it with the Chip McCormick single stage. Once you get a good trigger I'd bet you will have your bolt guns set to the same weight and improve your shooting because of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks mc. That is what I was wanting to know. I was thinking a 2 stage might have some takeup like you said. I will look into the trigger you suggested. If I get to nice of a trigger this is gonna get expensive time I get my other guns redone too. LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to shoot a lot of NRA highpower (200 to 600 yds) with a service rifle which required a 4.5 lb trigger. I started with the JP single stage trigger and moved on to a rock river 2 stage. The JP is a good trigger and shot fine. I switched to the Rock River 2 stage because I wanted less perceived trigger weight. Mine had about 2.5 lbs on the first stage and then 2 lbs on the second stage. I really liked it and shot it well. Then I switched uppers and went to the match rifle class. I sent my trigger to John Holliger at White Oak Precision and had him tune the trigger. Now it is 3.5 lbs but it feels like less then 2 lbs. It is amazing. Find some guys in your area that shoot highpower and you will be able to try some different triggers.

In my opinion, if you want a low perceived pull weight put in a 2 stage. If you don't mind the feel of a slightly heavier trigger go with the single stage. There are a lot of good AR triggers on the market. It is hard to make bad choice. Try some and see what you like best.

Jason Moeller

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I prefer a single stage for hunting, but ironically when shooting from a bench my groups are better with a two stage. I think I concentrate more. I bought a Timney for my AR. Easy to install, crisp, but it was a pound higher than what it was supposed to be. I emailed them and they told me how to adjust it, but I never got around to it. For the price I expected it to be set properly.