Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats the best gps on the market, they seem to have came along way, recently

Im wanting something that shows topo/satelite images/public land boundaries, if there is such a thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought the Garmin ORegon 400 and it has the topos, but not satellite images. It is a great unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BullElk im gad you posted that, cause Im looking into the Oregon550. On Ebay the pics appear to look like satelite images,or is that just a realy detailed map. Thank you for answering my thread, I hope to hear from you more about it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been researching this for a few months now. So far the Garmin62st looks to be the best on the market for my needs. No camera on it, but I always have one with me, so it is not needed. Pricey gps but it looks like the bugs are out of it now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mine is actually the 450, which has the maps downloaded, but not camera. I chose this model because I didn't need the camera, but wanted the topos. Since I just got it I haven't done much experimenting, but I downloaded all my waypoints from my very old Garmin 12, and they are now marked on the maps of the new unit. I did use the tracking feature once this winter on a lion hunt and it worked well. I think I am going to be very pleased with the unit, because I rely on gps technology and topos to get around here in Idaho quite a bit. There is also a 3D feature so if you are travelling in the mountains you can actually see the terrain on the map that you can see on your horizion.
    Last edited by bullelk; 03-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Garmin Dakota 20 with a topo map that shows private land and public land. It's pretty much amazing out here! The GPS unit has so many different cool things about it.. and it is a touch screen which makes it really easy to use and you can lock the screen so that youre not setting random way-points as you are walking.. i would highly recommend it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bullelk View Post
    I bought the Garmin ORegon 400 and it has the topos, but not satellite images. It is a great unit.
    Add a trax Chip and you will be set http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/html/ndtrax.html
    Mathews Switchback XT- Toxonics 5 pin - Trophy Taker Pronghorn - Mathews Quiver – FMJ Axis 340
    Mathews DXT( Black)-Spot-Hogg Hunter-it 7 pin(Black)-Schaffer drop-away(Black)-Mathews T5(Black)
    Mathews Drenalin- Spot-Hogg 5 pin - Whisker Biscuit - Mathews T5 Quiver – FMJ Axis 340
    Mathews Drenalin LD-Spot-Hogg Hogg-it 5 pin-Vapor Trail drop-away- Gold Tip Pro X Cutters

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Last fall while hunting antelope I tested a Garmin 550t and had a chip we purchase that put the unit, private and public (State,BLM,and Forest) maps on top of each other. So I was hunting a unit I hunted over 20 years. It found routes into public land that was hard to figure out with a map into country I had never hunted. The photo part I could take photos of water holes and it marked it on the map. For future reference the next hunting season. I can think of several ways to use the camera in scouting. You can down load them to your computer. Just for jollies I went to a USGS metal stake out in know where Wyoming and looked at the GPS and it was right on the nuts. Not a few feet off but right on. The 3D image is good to see what the terrain is like. It has a way to write note on the photos and I think the map for like where you find bucks or you want to remember about something. It's expensive but I found a lot of use for it's functions. Mite even retire my old topo maps don't know? Mike
    Mike Eastman
    Founder Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the reviews everyone, especially Mikes, I made my wife read his, and now she thinks i should get the Oregon 550, this forum thing is really workin out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeDIY View Post
    Thanks for the reviews everyone, especially Mikes, I made my wife read his, and now she thinks i should get the Oregon 550, this forum thing is really workin out.
    Now start a post asking us about the best new bow on the market! Maybe try your luck with asking us about the new pick-ups! What do you have to lose!!??