Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh heck no. I'm not set on a rut hunt over all. I would like to hunt the rut in Colorado to burn my points on. Other than that I just want to hunt Muleys. As long as they are all 180" or better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey BB, that is one of my all time favorite movies! Thanks!

WY has some general hunt regions that you can draw every year or every other year. Check out Eastman's MRS either online or in the mule deer issue of the magazine. Just pay close attention to public land access. There are several posts on here about guys getting tags for areas rated "poor access", and disappointed that there is no public land to hunt. Also, when the area is rated "rough / extreme" in the MRS, that's for real!
    I just did my first DIY mule deer hunt in WY this year and that how I went about it in general. I started planning about 12 to 14 months prior and we had a good time and I am already planning next year's hunt. The better your planning and research, the more enjoyable your trip / hunt will be.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 1 Post
    You could always take up another weapon to increase your odds during the off years too. I know that for CO I draw a mulie bow tag every other year, and there are second choice units that I can put in for nearby that will put me hunting mulies two out of three years. I don't have any experience hunting mulies later in the year, but they are pretty patternable in September.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. LaHunter,sounds like you have it dialed in. If you don't mind,I may be in touch in the near future. I'll be checking out the MRS here to see what's what.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    Oh heck no. I'm not set on a rut hunt over all. I would like to hunt the rut in Colorado to burn my points on. Other than that I just want to hunt Muleys. As long as they are all 180" or better.
    You can make any buck 180 if you multiply it by the right # lol The easier to draw WY areas can have access issues. Not always but generally the easier the tag is to draw the poorer the access is. You can still have a good hunt in many of them you just have to do plenty of research and find areas in them you can get to and get a good GPS with a huntinggps map chip so you can tell what is public land when you get there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do have the chip for Colorado in my GPS MAP 62S. I love it. It's a real asset.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a long way from having it dialed in. I am still very new at western hunting and still learning. I have just paid close attention to sound advise over the past year on this forum. If you are planning on a DIY hunt, the more effort you put in on the front end (research / planning / conditioning) the greater your odds of enjoying your hunt. Also, when you live a loooong way from your hunting destination, it makes planning that more important. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    This year in WY was the first time I used the chip and after using it I dont know how or why I hunted so long without it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I have 5 points and will be going for unit 68,681 3rd season this next hunting season (2015). From my research it sounds like a hunt with a lot of bucks in the 150 range with some 180+ coming out every year especially if you get snow. I wouldn't spend 7-8 points on it necessarily but it sounds like a good hunt.