Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some input please.

Hey folks. I need some opinions please. I have been building p-points in Colorado now for 7 years. In the beginning it was all directed at unit 66 for a late rifle trophy hunt. Well,point creep has put the rut season just about off the radar. So,that leaves the first rifle season. We got snowed out of elk camp a day early this year,and holed up at the Gunnison KOA for a couple days to clean up and get ready to head home. I seized the moment and did a little scouting over in 66. One evening and one daybreak trip. We saw a few bucks. Nothing worth 7 or 8 years of planning and p-points. 2 friends of ours were hitting town as we were leaving. They hunted 66 the following week with a well known guide from the area. They both scored OK bucks. Not what the unit is known for that's for sure. My question is this. With 7 or 8 preference points,should I bag the whole unit 66 thing,and look at another unit? Maybe something that I can get drawn in for a rifle rut hunt with that few points? Sit on the points I have and hold out for the second season in 66 as a retirement gift to myself ? While hunting deer in other states that I can draw every couple years ? I'm 51 and want to hunt Muleys! Right now I don't care where. I'm happy with hunting other localities every other year until I can get a good season in Colorado. Holy crap. My life is slipping away and I haven't raised a rifle at a single Muley. It's very frustrating. Anyone else ever find themselves in a similar quandary?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was going to make a suggestion, but revisited the PPs required on the unit for 4th season I was going to offer up and it takes 14 point for NR. I assume you are a non resident, but couldn't see on your profile. Residents takes 5 points. PM me if your are interested in more info.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi ThreeTikkas,

My suggestion is to keep an eye on the area that will give you a decent shot at a buck of a lifetime. Once you have that area dialed in, apply for it when conditions are optimal. Hunt other areas & states until you you're ready to apply for your best opportunity.

I'm in the same boat. I have accumulated Utah bonus points, but not enough to get me in the Henry Mountains. If I find myself in optimal conditions, then I'll apply. If I were to apply & for some reason the huge buck population is trending downward, I could find myself wasting a chance of a lifetime.

Many years ago, huge bucks were found within a hundred mile radius of the Four Corners. However, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado have huge bucks, but they are hard to find during general rifle seasons. About 10 years ago my brother saw a two huge bucks running together on a high ridge in Southern Utah. It was nearing dusk when he saw then and, according to him, when he first saw them he thought they were elk. There is a huge elk herd in the area we hunt and he was a novice hunter, so it was plausible. I guess I took a long route to the idea that it's possible to find a trophy in a general season area.

The last few bucks I've shot in Southern Utah were nothing of note. In fact, two years ago I saw nothing but forks, and that's in an excellent general season area. It's ironic that when many hunters were in the area, I was concerned about hunter pressure. Fewer hunters seem to allow bucks to remain bedded down. The two huge bucks that my brother saw had been stirred by hunters about a half-mile from where he saw them.

I wish you the absolute best of luck in getting drawn into your buck of a lifetime area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I was going to make a suggestion, but revisited the PPs required on the unit for 4th season I was going to offer up and it takes 14 point for NR. I assume you are a non resident, but couldn't see on your profile. Residents takes 5 points. PM me if your are interested in more info.
    Yep, I'm a non-resident. Such is my plight. A rut hunt in any decent unit with public access is just about off the radar. At 51 I don't have another 7 or 8 years to invest in one hunt. My goal at this point is to get out Muley hunting every couple years. Maybe hold out for a good hunt to burn my points on,and hunt deer some other way while I wait. But the main objective is to get out and hunt. I'm wasting WAY too much of my life watching point creep keep my off the mountain. There has to be a way for a deer hunting nut to get out and enjoy the sport without selling off his first born. There aren't funds for guides and outfitters,so private land access is pretty much a dream. D.I.Y. on a budget is where I'm at. When I started a rut hunt in the Gunny was 7 to 9 points. Now 9 is the basement and 14 or 15 is common.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep, I know what you mean. Any 4th season hunt here in Colorado is getting real hard to draw, even for residents. The unit I want to hunt is less that 50 miles away and I might get to do 4th season next year with 7 pts.

When I started saving points foe antelope it took about 5 for the unit I want. I now have 12 and it takes 15.

One good thing is that any unit that takes 5 or more points are eligable for "Hybrid " draws. They will take 20% of the tags for a general draw for those with 5 or more points who apply. Small chance, but better than none at all. One of my neighbors put in for an elk unit that was a 20+ pt draw. He had 9 and got drawn on the hybrid draw. Go ahead and apply (with 5 points or more) and you might get lucky. You will still get a point anyway if you don't draw. I apply every year for at least one of these type of hunts.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hmm,a Hybrid draw. Now that's pretty cool. I could play with that a little. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ThreeTikkas,

In Mike Eastman's book he addresses this exact topic. I highly recommend getting it and studying it closely. After reading it, I came away with the plan of finding an area / unit that I can hunt every year, or at worst case every other year. Then learn that area as well as I can and keep my expectations within reason. Each time I hunt this same area, I will be better prepared for my next year's hunt. I would rather hunt in a fair unit and really enjoy my hunts each year rather than wait on that "hunt of a lifetime" which may not exist. Point creep has put most of the high demand units out of reach for most hunters.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    Hmm,a Hybrid draw. Now that's pretty cool. I could play with that a little. Thanks!
    Its on page 5 of the current regs.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am sitting on 5 points. Non resident. I will burn them soon. On a third season hunt. Then find a two point unit to hunt.. That's my plan. Point creep just gets worse. Started hunting Co in 09. Gunnison basin to. Watched the points go up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I have 3 points and I am really considering using them on a muzzle loader hunt next year or the year after. I want a good hunt but I want to hunt too and I dont want to sit on over 5 points.