Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Are you set on hunting Colorado? There aren't many other rut hunts available. Arizona offers some but odds are bad. Idaho has a few early Nov hunts but again low odds of drawing. Nevada has some early Dec hunts and they are tough but possible to draw. Montana offers general season that run until Dec 1st. They are almost like over the counter as there have been leftovers the last 2 years after the outfitter sponsored tags were eliminated. The only states that I know you can do an over the counter late season mule deer hunt is Texas and Nebraska. They are both mostly private land but there are some big pieces of public in western Nebraska. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd like to get my foot in the door up in Montana. Are those tags state wide? I would have to think there is decent public access up there. I've gotten involved in Colorado because of their reputation as a trophy mule deer producer. Now I'd gladly broaden my horizons to get out in the brush on a regular basis.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeTikkas View Post
    I'd like to get my foot in the door up in Montana. Are those tags state wide? I would have to think there is decent public access up there. I've gotten involved in Colorado because of their reputation as a trophy mule deer producer. Now I'd gladly broaden my horizons to get out in the brush on a regular basis.
    They are not state wide. About half of the state can be hunted on your general tag. The other half is limited entry, and have to be drawn.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    There is good access in MT to a lot of general districts. I think MT would be a good option while you build points elsewhere.

Idaho would be another good option.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks,I'll check it out. I can see why some folks hire Cabelas to do all this sorting and figuring for them. it sure can get confusing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Don't get discouraged. The regs are different in each state but once you figure them out you are one step ahead of the "average" hunter seriously though, they don't change much from year to year. I think Montana is a great place to get out and hunt. The only drawback is the cost. But you can get an Elk/deer combo for just a little more. Also if the regs get confusing just ask these guys on here. This a great forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree,these guys rock. Great folks and helpful as all get out. Not all forums are created equal that's for sure. I appreciate all the help offered here. Thanks everyone!

I need to get to researching Montana. Sounds like a good option to get out and hunt. I was born on the wrong side of the Big Muddy. When I'm in the mountains I swear I have been there before. Maybe in a past life or something. Nuttin' finer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I was born on the wrong side of the Big Muddy. When I'm in the mountains I swear I have been there before. Maybe in a past life or something. Nuttin' finer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    May be Hollywood,but no truer words were ever spoken.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Thanks,I'll check it out. I can see why some folks hire Cabelas to do all this sorting and figuring for them. it sure can get confusing.
    Researching and sorting it out is 1/2 the fun of it! MT has some good hunting. I have had a couple great hunts in eastern MT a few years back but I have herd deer numbers are down alot from when I last hunted there and personally I cant stomach the price these days. MT is 1 of the few places you can hunt during the rut with basically an OTC tag. Are you dead set on hunting during the rut? You might want to look into some of the general areas in WY that can be drawn easily. 1 nice thing about WY and CO is if you can find an area you can draw 2nd choice you can hunt and build points at the same time.