Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts

What would you do with 16 Elk points?

Now that my hunting season is over I'm already thinking about next year. I have built up 16 points for elk and am a little frustrated with what I'm hearing. Looking for input on what you guys would do. Ive been hearing that 2 and 201 are on the down side lately but still require 18 to 20 points. However, I have hunted unit 61 in the past and am hearing better things about the quality of bulls there. The problem is it only takes 10 to 12 points depending on the seasons, 14 if I go archery. My question is, would you keep waiting and building points for those higher point units or go ahead and dump your points on a unit that takes less points? Just wondering what you would do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Colo T, From personal experience , 201 is not on the downside. Unit 2 had access problems this year from the rain and maybe some of the earlier hunts ( archery and muzzleloader) weren't as sucessful as normal. I had heard that unit 2 was down also. This may mean more bigger elk for next year. If you can shoot a bow maybe draw the tag right now because these units will only keep going up if you want a rifle or muzzleloading tag. Don't let anyone fool you about 201 being a small unit, you wonnt be able to hunt half of it in a week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I would keep trying for 2,201. Don't dump your points on a unit that takes 12 when you have been waiting 16 years already. Hang in there man.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Both 2 & 201 are Hybrid draws. Keep putting in for them and you might get lucky. Besides you still get the point and probably your 2nd choice if you don't draw. Don't put in for just the point as you will only get it. Check out the units and rules for the Hybrid draw. I drew a antelope tag that was a hybrid unit with less than the points needed, so it can be done.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your input fellas. I think I will stick it out, just drooling over a couple of the bulls I saw come out of 61 this year. It sounds like 2/201 are better than I had heard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What are your expectations ? Do not always get caught up in if units take more points that it is a better unit. The higher the point total the higher peoples expectations are. You can set yourself up for a disappointment. Check success rates. Granted it won't tell you how big the elk are that people have shot. What weapon ? If you are or would be tickled to shoot a 340-350 bull then you have other options then 2 or 201.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BleuBijou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuBijou View Post
    Do not always get caught up in if units take more points that it is a better unit. The higher the point total the higher peoples expectations are. You can set yourself up for a disappointment.
    Couldn't agree more... Seems like there's lots of this going on and lots of dissapointed hunters afterwards. I've been guilty of falling for this myself. Your hunting elk, not points. With the points creep the way it's been I'd go for 61 if you have enough points to draw rather than continuing to wait for a unit that keeps taking "one more point" every year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuBijou View Post
    What are your expectations ? Do not always get caught up in if units take more points that it is a better unit. The higher the point total the higher peoples expectations are. You can set yourself up for a disappointment. Check success rates. Granted it won't tell you how big the elk are that people have shot. What weapon ? If you are or would be tickled to shoot a 340-350 bull then you have other options then 2 or 201.
    I do not have real high expectations, I would be happy with a 350 bull. The point creep issue is my biggest concern at this point. I do shoot archery but was planning a rifle hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    The point creep in unit 2 for the rifle season has stayed the same for 2011-2013 at 19 points. Unit 201 is going up 1 point every other year and is now at 21 points which is insanity!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!