Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking Back

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking Back

My wife and I were out to breakfast this morning (happens to be last day of 4th season) and saw a friend who owns a taxidermy and meat processing business. He told me that this year was the worst year he has had since opening his business 20 years ago. The bucks and bulls were smaller than before, especially the buck deer. Most of the people coming in for processing were not doing too well either. The one positive thing he said was that he has checked in more bears than ever.

First rifle season started out with a bang. Snowed for opening day and we all know how that can help. But second season was warm/hot and the hunting suffered. 3rd got some snow too and seemed a little better. Some rain/snow showers for 4th, but overall still warm.

I also have spent a lot of time in the NF where there are usually lots of big camps with 6 to 10 hunters. Saw maybe 1/2 as many as I usually see. Maybe the economy or the earlier promise of non residents not coming to Colorado because of our much publicized new gun legislation. Who knows!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    after last years warm and dry winter i was planning on outstanding hunting, elk hunting was better than i have ever seen it, bow season, but as far as deer goes, i seen way fewer deer this year and few bucks compared to most years. wasnt a lack of hunters here though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went to Wy and hunted the Big Horns for archery elk, it was my first year hunting Wy so I have nothing to compare it to but the guides said it was a down year. I settled for a spike on the 6th day. I set out of colorado for the first time in several years b/c of the Wy hunt, but I plan to burn my 3 elk points there next year again. The deer here in KS are way down in numbers and size from past years in my opinion. I shot an average mulie with my bow here in Ks and haven't seen any big deer yet. Whitetails seemed to be down worse than the mulies, not sure why.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted one of the CO central mountain units (I won't be any more specific than that) in the second rifle season. There were so many hunters/camps (both residents & non residents) that I would not go hunt the higher elevation areas I like to hunt. I heard more shooting the first couple days of the season than I have ever heard anywhere in CO. Ended up hunting a little hidey hole that nobody else got into that was loaded with game and took a pretty nice muley on the 3rd morning; passed up 7 or 8 little bucks before that. My buck had more fat on him than any other big game animal I've ever taken. The processor I took it to here in GJ told me they were getting absolutely hammered, with more game being brought in than they have seen in many years. OTOH, a friend was in one of the Gunnison Valley units in the 1st rifle season; for 9 hunters they killed 1 bull. Another group was in the same area 2nd rifle and 10 hunters killed nothing.
    Guess there's just a lot of regional variables this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
    ...... took a pretty nice muley on the 3rd morning; passed up 7 or 8 little bucks before that. My buck had more fat on him than any other big game animal I've ever taken. .........
    My second season Colorado buck was also extremely fat. http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...season-success

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would have to agree with CC. The elk got hammered first season with the snow but the action quickly slowed during second and third seasons. The deer hunting 3rd season left a little to be desired weather wise. I saw around 80 -100 deer during the last 4 days of 3rd season but only one of those was a big buck and he is still alive because it is hard to shoot a deer when you forget to put shells in your gun!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The weather didn't do me any favors during the 3rd riffle season. I still managed a decent bull and my wife killed her first buck but that is attributed to hunting the same unit for 13 years. I agree the rifle seasons were tough. The archery/ smoke pole season was great if you could put up with the rain. I saw more big bucks and rutting bulls during September at timberline then I have in a few years.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am already looking forward to next year and planning my draw strategy for Colorado and a few other states!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im already planning for next year too. Thinking about trying to go to CO with the smokepole next year!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Im already planning for next year too. Thinking about trying to go to CO with the smokepole next year!
    Now your talking...