Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Me too! Bet its a goodun.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So are people jealous, envious or both? It's true some tribes have no regulations on hunting but not all tribe are like that. Most tribes are now switching or have switched to regulated hunting on reservations. It is up to the discretion of the tribe how they want to manage the wildlife (all tribes are considered sovereign nations in the eyes of the US Government and are under trust. Hence most wildlife projects on tribal lands are funded by USFWS grants.) The tribe may have had an agreement with the State that once the population was healthy and numbers were at a surplus, then there could be limited harvesting (at least I hope) perhaps something that was not mentioned when the the project had begun (for this particular reason). What if the situation was a bit different and the sheep were placed on public land bordering and the sheep decided to setup camp on the reservation? Its still a publicly funded project but the animals are going to go where they feel comfortable, they don't see the lines we draw on paper. The tribe would still have the option to manage the sheep as they see fit. Maybe they wouldn't want them and so they killed them all or they told the state they had to spend more public dollars to trap and remove all the sheep. Which would be more upsetting? The government (state and federal) is going to spend public money how they see fit. Whether we agree or not. I don't agree with the government using my money to pay politicians or go to war but they use it anyway.

Earlier someone was right about turning it into a possible "cash cow." The Apache tribes of AZ and NM figured this out about 20-30 years ago. But that is no different than a private land owner charging "X" amount of money to hunt a public owned animal on their land. This tribe could have done the same, but perhaps they chose to think of their tribal members first and gave them the opportunity to hunt these animals for a fee which tribal members can afford. Maybe in the future they will have tags for non-members, but of course its anyone's guess at how much they're going to charge. They can then use those funds generated from selling tags to do more wildlife work.

Finally, by telling us to go back to hunting without firearms, modern technology, etc. is sort saying all farmers now have to sow their fields with only a mule, goods have to be sent by wagon train, travel is only to be done on foot or by horse or how about lets defend this country with only muskets or even just swords. It's not going to happen.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm sure not jealous, just pointing out what I consider inequities. Here in Colorado, the local tribes don't offer any hunting to non tribal members, BUT are allowed to hunt/fish on public land without regard to seasons and licenses/permits, etc.

Doesn't seem right to me. There is also some question about their right to hunt/fish on private property depending on how the original treaty was written 140 years ago. Some tribes think they can acess private property without permission from the owners.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-26-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
    Congratulations
    correct me if im wrong, but a native american killing an albino animal of any sorts goes against the spiritual beliefs does it not? i have many of friends that are native, hell, i live 200 yrds from the res, but i strongly disagree with how things are ran. as im sure they disagree what happened whne the mayflower came and so on and so on,nonetheless life is life and times move on. with the country hurting so badly for money we need to stop enabling those that are perfectly able to get work and make thier own money. i caught a native american 2 years ago poaching a moose. i turned him in gladly, came to find out he was native but did not live on res but used a res add on all his identificaions and the such qualifying him for the "free" us gov money. fish cop turned him into the tribe and he lost all of his rights, all of his hunting and fishing rights both on and off of tribe lands and he was forced to pay back the whopping 12k in cash he was given for being native, im sorry, i meant for his great granfathers being native. this sort of thing happens all to often. and i agree, if you are going to hunt off of res land during a non hunting season then u should be required to youse traditional weapons, during reg hunt season use whatever the heck you please. ps, i have enough native blood in to to qualify for grants and res right and what not, but i do not, i do not feel its right here in the 2013..... also, any animal shot by a tribe member outside of a reg us hunting season should not be allowed to be enterred into b&c or pope and young. i considre it UNfair chase.
    Last edited by ivorytip; 11-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i am by no means an "anti native" but things do need changed

Thanks
    Congratulations
    if this ram hunt was lagit then i wish you a very stong congrats.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Too bad they didn't let the ram grow a few more years

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It was all white, but I don't believe from reading about this ram in the past that it was actually an albino. If you look at the picture with the lady hunter, it does not appear to have pink eyes like an albino has.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-08-2013 at 05:11 PM.