Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey thanks ssliger. after a little more research I may PM you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Welcome halfslam. This is a great site. So I guess from you forum name you've got 2 sheep so far. Which 2 did you get?

Eastmans' Staff
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the Eastmans' Forum halfslam. -Guy
    N. Guy Eastman
    Publisher
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Half Slam. It's always good to see Oregonians here on Eastman's!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I help a lot of guys with their draw strategies. One of those is a buddy who is a nonresident with 12 moose and sheep points, one more point than you have.

For you with 11 moose and 11 sheep points you still have a long wait for a tag drawn on points. For moose, there are still 2500 applicants with equal or more points than you have. For sheep you are a little better off with 2200 applicants with equal or more points. There is a "bubble" of applicants that is currently at the 13-14 point level.

Here is the link for the current point totals for sheep and moose:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme..._130004710.pdf

For antelope with 4 points you are set for a great hunt, especially if you are wiling to put out the extra dollars for a "special" tag.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Welcome halfslam. This is a great site. So I guess from you forum name you've got 2 sheep so far. Which 2 did you get?
    Alabama, I've taken a Dall in the Wrangells in Alaska and a nice Stone in BC. Still waiting on my Bighorn tag! I was very fortunate in getting my Stone Sheep hunt for the cost of the tag. To make a long story short, I helped a young outfitter who bought a new hunting area. I bought a wolf, elk and moose tag 4 years in a row but spent my time showing them much needed horsemanship skills (they took riding lessons upon buying the area!), packing out elk and moose, working on the lodge and teaching them how to hunt and call elk. (They had never hunted elk either.) Never fired a shot in those 4 years and upon leaving on the fourth year the outfitter asked what would be my first choice of animals to hunt in his area. Without any hesitation I said Stone Sheep. He said if I paid for the tag the following year the hunt was mine....I now have a beautiful full curl Stone hanging next to my Dall.
    Last edited by halfslam; 11-28-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Umpqua Hunter, thanks for the stats. PP in Wyoming has turned into a rich mans sport. When I first started it cost 7 dollars a point for moose and Sheep. Then they raised it from 7 to 100 dollars. Most people had to many points to just throw them away so like most I've kept donating 100 bucks each year for each of those two. I'm at a point now of wondering if age will be a factor by the time I draw the sheep tag (and the cost). I also apply each year in Idaho and Oregon, keeping my fingers crossed. You have a pretty impressive list of hunting adventures and years of good memories to look back on.

I'm looking forward to the Wyoming antelope tag which is just around the corner. I'm looking at 14 Oregon antelope PP, the last one was in 1999 and I doubt if I can ever harvest a bigger buck than him in Oregon.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halfslam View Post
    Alabama, I've taken a Dall in the Wrangells in Alaska and a nice Stone in BC. Still waiting on my Bighorn tag! I was very fortunate in getting my Stone Sheep hunt for the cost of the tag. To make a long story short, I helped a young outfitter who bought a new hunting area. I bought a wolf, elk and moose tag 4 years in a row but spent my time showing them much needed horsemanship skills (they took riding lessons upon buying the area!), packing out elk and moose, working on the lodge and teaching them how to hunt and call elk. (They had never hunted elk either.) Never fired a shot in those 4 years and upon leaving on the fourth year the outfitter asked what would be my first choice of animals to hunt in his area. Without any hesitation I said Stone Sheep. He said if I paid for the tag the following year the hunt was mine....I now have a beautiful full curl Stone hanging next to my Dall.
    That's great! Looks like you got to spend a lot of time in some beautiful country and got a sheep for all your efforts and hard work.