Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max points

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts

Max points

I am trying to understand how max points works. How is it determined what max points is and once you have max points do your odds of drawing increase after that? Example: If max points is 5 and I apply unsuccessfully for 4 years after I got to max points will I have a better chance of drawing then someone that just got max points? Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    In 2006 Wyoming went to a point system. Anyone that has bought points since then has max points. I'm assuming other states max points is since they established a point system? Every year you apply or buy a point, your points & the max points goes up.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 62 Times in 4 Posts
    max points go up each year so you have the advantage over people who started after you. like in your example if you were at max points at 5 and were unsuccesful for 4 years you would have 9 points which would be the new max point. it is impossible for some one to catch up to the same amount of points as you unless you fail to put in or buy a point one year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ADavid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Thanks! It makes sense now. I dont have max points, was just trying to understand it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maximum possible points for Elk, going into the 2014 draw will be 8.
    YOUR point total may be less.
    The maximum points needed to draw a specific hunt, may also be less. It depends on the applicants that apply...

Sometimes, when people talk "max points" they are referring to the points needed to draw that specific hunt code, which may very well be less than the total points that are possible to obtain at that given time.
    The scenario might be, "I have max-1 points for Elk, what hunts can I draw?" In this instance I have 7 points going into 2014 and looking at the PP odds report, there are a number of units that had single digit odds for people with the maximum possible points (7 for 2013) so those hunts would be un drawable for me in the PP draw. My only chance for that hunt would be to luck out and draw one of the tags in the random draw.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Maximum possible points for Elk, going into the 2014 draw will be 8.
    YOUR point total may be less.
    The maximum points needed to draw a specific hunt, may also be less. It depends on the applicants that apply...

Sometimes, when people talk "max points" they are referring to the points needed to draw that specific hunt code, which may very well be less than the total points that are possible to obtain at that given time.
    The scenario might be, "I have max-1 points for Elk, what hunts can I draw?" In this instance I have 7 points going into 2014 and looking at the PP odds report, there are a number of units that had single digit odds for people with the maximum possible points (7 for 2013) so those hunts would be un drawable for me in the PP draw. My only chance for that hunt would be to luck out and draw one of the tags in the random draw.

I think that the max points anyone can have for 2014 will be 7 points. I got started 1 year late and have 6 points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nope its 8, thats what I have.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    CC is correct in that it's 8 this year. If you have 6, you either started 2 years late or missed a year somewhere along the way along with starting a year late. It's very easy to look in the draw odds for 2013 and see that a lot of guys got tags with their 7 PPs last season..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Absolutely it is 8 points going into 2014, that's where I am at. The Wyoming non-resident max point pool for elk is as follows:

4527 max point applicants going into the 2012 draw
    3680 max point applicants going into the 2013 draw
    3054 max point applicants going into the 2014 draw

This pool drops by about 20% each year. The preference tags for the top 10 units or so units will be drawn by max point holders for probably the next 10 years.

Yes…I am obsessed with the numbers and stats…..
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought I started banking points the second year, but I guess it was the third year. I have been just banking points for deer and elk the last 6 years. I thought I was only 1 year behind but I am 2 years. That's a little disappointing.