Thread: new to forum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

new to forum

Hi all, newbie no nothing here! I've been on here several times over the past yr plus some but have not joined until now. I read a lot of good threads on here and have received a LOT of great info. I'm from PA and came out to CO this past rifle(2nd) for my first elk hunt. Unfortunately I didn't fill my tag and even worse I didn't see an elk. I did however learn a lot from this trip, met some real nice folks and saw plenty of other wildlife! I'm planning on doing it again this yr but I think my partner and I have two different approaches in mind. We did a DIY trip in unit 75, tent camped out of the truck and walked in every day. I realized that we didnt' get far enough off the beaten path for one along with some other learning curves but that's pretty much what I expected the first time. I'm thinking I'd like to try to draw an either sex tag for the first season AND I'd like to get deeper in the mountain. I'm in good shape, I train all yr but gotta say that the altitude was kicking our butts. So, I thought of trying to find a local packer in the next area I decide to hunt in or even look into a drop camp. My buddy is more for the "easy living" but doesn't want to spend the $$ on a outfitter for drop camp. Just curious, but was wondering what some of your thoughts were on this? Thanks!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The first thing I'd do is come here several days early to get better aclimated.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

EZ7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The first thing I'd do is come here several days early to get better aclimated.
    Thanks, I'd love to do that but my vac allowance screws that up. Unfortunately I have a few more yrs to be able to do that! Damn work anyway! The 1st day I drove up to 10k ft and started to feel sick. By the 2nd day though I was up above 10k and felt fine. Just need about a day or two. I was still outa breath at the end of the trip though. Wish I could train out there. You all are in incredible shape. By the way, I completely agree with your fathers quote. Have used it myself a few times! Thanks again

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome Aboard East Coast Brother.........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to N.Y.ArcheryMadMan For This Useful Post:

EZ7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I used to feel the same way when I first went above 7500', then I left the flatland and moved here to SW Colorado. No more altitute problems. I live at 6800' and have gone to 12,000' hiking. Even at my age (72), it's really not a problem. Been here 13 years since I retired and love it!!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-21-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

EZ7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome my friend, I'm new as well. Your altitude sickness is common. I suffer as well above 10K with migraine headaches for a day or two. We just have to deal with it and keep huntin. As for your trip, your best bet is a lot of research. Compile all the draw odds and harvest stats for an area you're interested and by all means don't be shy about calling a wildlife biologist for your area. They are a wealth of information and want you to be successful. Also find a good area and stick with it for a few years. The more you know the better you'll do. I've been huntin the West for over 20 years now and have compiled a lot of info along with preference points for the future. Good luck to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to UT HNTR For This Useful Post:

EZ7