Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    The problem is also who makes the rules. Here in Colorado the CPW Commission (Parks & Wildlife..used to be Game & Fish) makes the rules with little or no oversight from the Legislature. They are appointed by the Legislature and have lots of landowner/outfitter members. The department is also an "Enterprise" which means they get no money from the state, only what they charge for licenses/tags, fees and court fines, etc. They do hold hearings throughout the state and appear to listen, but their votes sure don't reflect much "listening".
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-26-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    I did a little research over the last couple days on tag allocation here in Wyoming between R and NR, and here's what I discovered. I've always been told that 25% of tags are allocated to the NR hunting populous, which turns out to be the case but just for limited quota tags only. When I investigated the Deer tag allocation statewide, what I found was that there were around 40,000-45,000 deer tags issued from the numbers I was able to find. Of that, 19,500 were given to NR with 17,500 of those being the regional general tags. My estimate for the number of General tags purchased by R hunters, based on data from GF and an educated guess on OTC sales, is around 15,000. This data goes a long ways in explaining the degradation of the hunting experience I've seen in General hunting areas over the last decade solely based on the animals being over pressured by both mother nature and hunters, R and NR alike. Since the R license sales should remain relatively stable over a period of time, I'm extremely surprised at the number of NR tags that are being issued in an effort to boost revenue (a guess) with little regard for the health of regional populations.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We certainly can complain about it

Not sure how much can get done, also so many states are different from one another, ie. # of NR hunters applying, # of tags available.

I remember once asking a guy in NM why don't you just shoot a doe instead of a young buck? and he said "we can't shoot does here" so that answered that! haha.

Honestly I think you're better off working extra hours $$ and just paying for what you want.

I would like to see a max of 10x NR tag vs. resident tag.

It's funny to hunt public land with local hunters who paid $35 for a bull elk tag when you're hunting the same land etc... and paid $700 etc... and then hearing them complain about "eating a tag this year"

at this point, I say, have fun, spend your $$ where and how you want, if you can write emails etc... do what you can.

not sure Eastmans' would publish it, but I think something like a "dear abby" letter, ie an open letter to the hunting public in general would be cool to see in a mag. they wouldn't have to endorse it but just 1 NR hunters outlook on tag prices and fairness etc...

they use to have poll questions online or in their mags I would see with hunters comments, I really liked that section but haven't seen it in a while.

I remember seeing the suggested NR grizzly WY tag price at like $7,500 or something non-res and I thought, you might as well just go to alaska and get an outfitted hunt for a few grand more...

Hunting being an expensive/rich man's sport does get brought up quite a bit...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think that within limits there ought to be a better balance between how much of the tag revenue nonresidents provide and how many of the total tags they get.

In CO, nonresidents bought 32% of all the tags in 2011. http://www.amfire.com/statistic.asp?page=32
    Nonresident tag prices on deer and elk were very roughly 12 times the resident tag cost. http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...untPlanner.pdf
    The way I see it, that works out to 84% of the revenue from big game tags. Maybe someone has an exact number from CO DOW.

I think nonresidents getting 30% of the tags is fair. But other states are far more stingy with nonresident tags and while the percentage of nonresident tag revenue will be less if nonresidents get fewer tags, nonresidents ought to get more tags based on how dependent Game and Fish Depts. are on them, not to mention local economies, especially in rural areas.

You're right, nonresident hunters' clout is not being realized as much as it should be in some states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe some of you guys outta form a union...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Nonresidents have no rights. We can either play by their rules or find another state to hunt in. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Nonresidents have no rights. We can either play by their rules or find another state to hunt in. lol
    Hahaha, now you understand what it's like to live in ca. Oh wait you already have!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    All the western states have wilderness, why is Wyoming the only state with this requirement? Me thinks outfitters have lots of clout with the state, just like Colorado! Safety is just a smoke screen.
    You hit the nail Cowboy! That stupid "Wilderness law" was pushed-in by Outfitters/ranchers in Wyoming, and passed by the "Rancher Legislature". You can fish, hike, birdwatch and even play Pocket pool in the wilderness as a Non-resident...but you can't hunt! What a crock!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Hahaha, now you understand what it's like to live in ca. Oh wait you already have!
    I understand cali always looks the best in my rear view mirror!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I feel sorry for ya....no, really I do. I hated it too, so I packed up and moved to the west. Solved the NR problem for me.