Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Alaska town to live in for hunting/outdoors?

I don't know if anyone can answer this question here, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

What town would you prefer to live in as far as the outdoors? Where you could draw a sheep/goat tag and hike in many many miles, without needing to hire a bush pilot, but also able to beat the crowds.(weather it's because of rugged terrain, or just lack of people living there). But also able to drive into town and get at least basic stuff like groceries and gas, etc. I know that no where is perfect. And that probably no where exists like, but maybe!

And also a place that holds bears and sitka deer. Big moose would be a plus as well....and can't forget about some monster rainbows haha.

I'm moving to Alaska is about 2 years. I will be looking for a lineman career. So I was hoping I could get a job with a very rural company. Thanks for reading. Even if you have just visited, respond haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know hunting is probably pretty good in Alaska but I always figured if you can't earn a living paying at least a six figure income there, the cost of living there is way to rich for my blood.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    M.S.H.

I've been a resident up here for over 38 years and I would pick Tok, given the criteria you gave. You won't find the Sitka deer there however, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker. The current(?) 261" moose came from there, plenty of bears and caribou. Probably better for grayling than rainbows but oh well, it's hard to get it all.

Bring a warm coat though, it was -47 last week and gets beyond -70 at times.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the responses! I will for sure look into that town! And actually many lineman make 6 figures. But not guaranteed. And no I was partially joking with some of that, I don't expect anywhere to be amazing in all categories. Thanks again guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    If you are a journeyman lineman ya better have an IBEW card. Many lineman are seasonal until they have atleast 10 years in or so. But there are a few contractors that do not belong to the union. Like Akaviator said Tok is a great place but ya better a layer of fat on ya like a walrus Tuesday it was -45F.. I believe they are only getting about 4 hours of sun also. If you have a wife make sure to move up in the spring that is if you don't want to be moving back to the lower 48 in a couple of years. Alaska is like no place on earth but if you are not metally prepared it can whop ya. And contrary to popular belief the hunting is hard, rugged, and remote. It isn't like driving your truck to your favorite spot in the lower 48 and take off walking to go hunting. Plus there isn't near the game density like in the lower 48 either. It be 5,6,7 days before we spot a legal bull moose in some units. I wish ya the best of luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the tip. I'm planning to be an apprentice lineman working towards my journeyman's while I'm there. I'm not saying I wanna be there for 2 years. But I'll just enjoy it up there, whether I'm there for a year or forever.

I want to hunt everything there. Sounds a bit ridiculous since it is VERY EXPENSIVE. But a good piece of my income will go to hunting. Since I know I won't spend the money to go on non-resident guided trips in the future. So I'll do it when I'm young and able and..a resident of AK!

I am a bit nervous for the lack of sunlight. I can handle the cold no problem, just am not sure about the lack of light.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck in Alaska wish I knew someone up there maybe someday Ill get up there

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted Alaska several times and from what I have seen, good hunting pretty much requires going where there are no roads. That means boats, airplanes and sometimes atv's. Location is not as important as you might think. Locate where you can work.