Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think I figured it out, it came to me while I was on my morning run. The bullet seating die is too long creating a small gap between the case and the shoulder area of die. When the bullet is seated the pressure form the seating process is bulging the base of the shoulder (see picture). I am going to take .005" off of the bottom of the seating die to see if that reduces the bulge. If it works I will post my findings as I go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 WSM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	7163

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8541 View Post
    I think I figured it out, it came to me while I was on my morning run. The bullet seating die is too long creating a small gap between the case and the shoulder area of die. When the bullet is seated the pressure form the seating process is bulging the base of the shoulder (see picture). I am going to take .005" off of the bottom of the seating die to see if that reduces the bulge. If it works I will post my findings as I go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 WSM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	7163
    I ve seen that on some of mine to

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If this is the case then you should see some scuffing of the brass there after you have chambered the round and closed the bolt. Have you removed a live round after you have closed the bolt? If not, try one and see if that happens.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cowboy, I put some Dykem on a loaded round and closed the bolt. The base of the shoulder area was scuffed all the way around the case.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    looks like you have found the problem. Good work Pard.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's very interesting. I will keep this in mind. I am new at reloading. So all the info I can get it great.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey I'm been busy on hunting trips and just noticed your thread. I had the same problem when I first started reloading 300WSM, it took me a while to figure it out, but what I learned was that when seating the bullet, don't press the cartridge into the die all the way. You need to stop when the handle comes to that first stop (Hard spot). If you do them all that way You'll notice the bullets will be the same length and they will chamber smooth like factory loads. If you push the cartridge all the way down you will feel a crunch in that last bit of push and that's when you'll bulge the shoulder. Try it, that's what fixed my problem anyhow. My 300 win mag is the same way.....dunno if they make them that way or what?

A way to make sure this is happening is to cycle your brass through your rifle once it's been neck sized or full length resized and see if they chamber fine. If they do then the problem is when you are seating the bullets.
    Last edited by bigshot; 11-25-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

A way to make sure this is happening is to cycle your brass through your rifle once it's been neck sized or full length resized and see if they chamber fine. If they do then the problem is when you are seating the bullets.
    I make it a practice to chamber and close the bolt on every round after I reload them. I almost never find any that are a problem, but its just something I've done for 50 years.

Another thing I do is keep a "dummy master" round for EVERY load I shoot in every caliber. It is a deprimed, sized piece of brass with a bullet seated to the depth I use for that particular load & bullet. They are labeled and so I know which bullet/load it simulates. I use it to check/set the seating die before each reloading session. Too many combinations, so this is an easy way to reset a die quickly. In my 25-06 I use 5 or 6 different brand bullets and weights. This system works well for me and i have used it for years.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those are sum very good tips. Thanks Colorado Cowboy...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8541 View Post
    I just stumbled across a Brian Pierce article about the WSM's. In the article he covers this same problem, I guess it's common. I will try removing a few thousandths from my die and see if the works.
    Have you tried another sizing die, or a different shellholder? I had this problem with a 7mm Weatherby Mag.. A set of Redding dies fixed the problem.

A different shellholder may also be a solution. Shellholders are very different between brands, and can cause resizing problems. Especially, when you are mixing brands of shellholders and dies. You can also remove metal from the top of the shellholder, but be forewarned that most shellholders are very hard making this a difficult task.

Other options are removing metal from the bottom of the seating die, which you mentioned, or ordering a custom seating die from RCBS or Redding. You might also try chamfering the inside of the case neck with a long taper chamfering tool.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 11-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA