Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit 61

Thanks
    thanks for the input cohicntry, originally they planned on going guided but not sure what they will do now. If they decide to do DIY I will likely go with them and will help scout next summer. I think it would be a good opportunity to get to tag along and see what 61 has to offer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I guess trophy quality. Don't get me wrong there are some nice bulls there but not enough to justify waiting almost 20 years! The unit holds a lot of elk and is fun to hunt. Plenty of decent 6 points. Just not worthy of that many points or more importantly worth waiting that long and not getting to hunt for 20 years. I think Nymore a guy is better off finding a unit he can hunt every couple years instead of waiting so long to shoot a 300-330 type bull.
    This is one of those head scrathers as to why it takes so many points for a NRes and compariatively not so many for a Res( don't get me wrong, 10 points is still quite a bit for 1st rifle). Compared to other "trophy" units, this unit is on the edge of being a real good one. I think NRes bail from the real good units because it is just not going to happen anytime soon so this unit gets the attention. I did some work in the town of Nucla and saw a picture in the local paper of big elk feeding on some ground that had been reestablished and reseeded by a local coal mine. I always thought it would suck to see the real big boys on ground you couldn't hunt. The one thing that I always looked at is why Res don't give it as much credit as NRes. Is it because we are here and have a chance to scout it and actually see what is in there? Is it because maybe we hear a few more stories about these and other units? Usually a good unit has maybe a 380 , a 360, some 350's and alot of bulls between 340 and 320 taken off it every year. I don't think this happens in 61.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

UT HNTR (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    This is one of those head scrathers as to why it takes so many points for a NRes and compariatively not so many for a Res( don't get me wrong, 10 points is still quite a bit for 1st rifle). Compared to other "trophy" units, this unit is on the edge of being a real good one. I think NRes bail from the real good units because it is just not going to happen anytime soon so this unit gets the attention. I did some work in the town of Nucla and saw a picture in the local paper of big elk feeding on some ground that had been reestablished and reseeded by a local coal mine. I always thought it would suck to see the real big boys on ground you couldn't hunt. The one thing that I always looked at is why Res don't give it as much credit as NRes. Is it because we are here and have a chance to scout it and actually see what is in there? Is it because maybe we hear a few more stories about these and other units? Usually a good unit has maybe a 380 , a 360, some 350's and alot of bulls between 340 and 320 taken off it every year. I don't think this happens in 61.
    There is just as much resident demand for these tags, probably as much or more than NR's. The answer is that there are a lot more res tags available. I havn't checked, but the data is available on the state website. I'll bet there are at least 60 to 70% more tags for res draw.

Just checked data for 2013 (a little hard to understand?), here is what I think is the breakdown:

M/L R= 35, NR=8, Landowner=7
    R1 R=103, NR=25, LO=22
    R2 R=136, NR=34, LO=30
    R3 R=136, NR=34, LO=30

Now you can see why it takes fewer res points.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-26-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    With 21 points I'm one of those in the boat wondering if I should jump ship and go for the Unit 61 muzzleloader tag. The intel I have been getting on the NW corner of Colorado and the adjoining units in Wyoming (Unit 31 and 32) is that the trophy quality is off the past 5 years. That is not to say its not still a great hunt, just not as many top end bulls, and most guys are killing 300-330 bulls. I think even when the quality is there, MOST guys have a very tough time passing a 320 bull.

From what I have heard, Unit 61 is very capable of producing a 300 to 330 class bull.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

UT HNTR (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    With 21 points I'm one of those in the boat wondering if I should jump ship and go for the Unit 61 muzzleloader tag. The intel I have been getting on the NW corner of Colorado and the adjoining units in Wyoming (Unit 31 and 32) is that the trophy quality is off the past 5 years. That is not to say its not still a great hunt, just not as many top end bulls, and most guys are killing 300-330 bulls. I think even when the quality is there, MOST guys have a very tough time passing a 320 bull.

From what I have heard, Unit 61 is very capable of producing a 300 to 330 class bull.
    uh, I agree totally with your assesment. I think a 300-330 bull is achievable in unit 61. I think it drops off a little faster than other units when you start looking for bigger bulls. Also I was surprised at how many tags, CC showed, are available for this unit, and that didn't count archery.

Thanks
    There are way more tags given out in 61 than the other units, 2, 10, 201. For instance in 61 there are 100 archery tags given out to 201 giving out 8.

Unit 61 Archery
    R-68
    NR-17
    L Own-15

Unit 201 Archery
    R-6
    NR-1
    L Own-1

More tags means less big bulls will make it to that 380 size. The next step in points from 61 is 76, they allow 160 archery tags, smaller bulls yet....on average of course.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

UT HNTR (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    The word I get out of unit 61 is there are lots of elk. The average Bull taken out of there is 320 to 330 range. Lots of 6x6 Bulls in the 280 to 300 range. Dark Timber Outfitters guides in there alot. The are located on Divide Rd which split 61 from 62. Nice guy Said he averages 327 Bulls out of 61 (that was 3 years ago).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Raider For This Useful Post:

UT HNTR (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    My dad and brother actually have had a deposit with Dark Timber for several years to hunt 61. Did you hunt with them?

Thanks
    First Rifle.

Thanks
    Yea I was thinking 1ST Rifle