Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit 61

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Overall, units 2 and 201 are still head and shoulders above all units in CO including 61. If there has been any drop off in quality it is due to drought and it is not consistent. Huge bulls still coming out of those units every year. Especially during the archery season. There are a lot of guys who stay pretty quiet about what they kill and their animals don't end up in the record books. With that said I don't think you could do better with 10 points than unit 61. PM me and I can give you some areas in 61 that will hold some good bulls.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Goat. I'm leaning towards 1 ST. Rifle. I spoke to a biologist years back and he gave me some good info. but I also appreciate our shared info here on the EHJ forum. I know about 2 & 201 as well. You think keep savin up points for those units, or go for 61?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    UT HNTR…something to consider. When I started applying for CO elk, I was all excited because it only took 7 points to draw Unit 201. I am now at 22 points and finally in the max point pool for archery (not enough for rifle or muzzleloader) with many other applicants in my point pool. So it basically took 22 years to make a 7 point gain, or roughly 3 years of applying for every point I needed to catch up.

Since you are at 10 points now, and it is taking 22-23 points or so to draw Unit 2 and Unit 201, you are 12-13 points behind. At a rate of 3 years applying to gain 1 point, it will take you 36-39 years to catch those units. Many applicants will drop out before that, but plan on at least 20+ years to catch those NW Colorado units.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-29-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    UT HNTR…something to consider. When I started applying for CO elk, I was all excited because it only took 7 points to draw Unit 201. I am now at 22 points and finally in the max point pool for archery (not enough for rifle or muzzleloader) with many other applicants in my point pool. So it basically took 22 years to make a 7 point gain, or roughly 3 years of applying for every point I needed to catch up.

Since you are at 10 points now, and it is taking 22-23 points or so to draw Unit 2 and Unit 201, you are 12-13 points behind. At a rate of 3 years applying to gain 1 point, it will take you 36-39 years to catch those units. Many applicants will drop out before that, but plan on at least 20+ years to catch those NW Colorado units.
    61 is not much better. 10 nonresident points is a long way from drawing 61. Be prepared to wait many more years before you can draw. I have 12 points and I am out. The points have skyrocketed . . .

Archery took 18 to guarantee a tag . . .
    Muzz took 20 . . .
    1st Rifle took 20 . . .
    2nd-4th took 17 . . .

Those points are what was needed for a nonresident to GUARANTEE a tag. You could have a fraction of a chance to draw with one or two less depending on how each draw shook out . . .

I know I'm probably in the minority here and it's not going to happen, but I wish the DOW would do point banking again. I took advantage of it in 2006 and still kept most of my points.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 12-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think last time I calculated, I was one point down and would never draw archery. I have 17 NR points as of today. If it took 17 last year I know it will take 18 this year. Sound right? I'm assuming the amount of 18 point holders minus the number of tags issued won't be helping me any time soon?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I think last time I calculated, I was one point down and would never draw archery. I have 17 NR points as of today. If it took 17 last year I know it will take 18 this year. Sound right? I'm assuming the amount of 18 point holders minus the number of tags issued won't be helping me any time soon?
    If my figuring is right, there was a 40% chance for a NR to draw 61 archery with 17 points this year. 15 guys did not draw with 17 points, thus accumulating another point. If the quota stays the same and those same 15 guys apply, then there would be about an 80% chance to draw with 18 points. But, one has to plan for some high point holders dropping out of the NW corner to apply in 61 . . .

Since this is one of the only other options for high point holders, I would not expect the points to level off any time soon.
    Last edited by HiMtnHnter; 12-29-2013 at 09:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry UT HNTR I thought you were a resident. Guess I should pay better attention.
    Yeah, you are really many years out for drawing any of the high demand units. I would just keep applying and hope for the hybrid draw tag if you are set on hunting 61, 2 or 201. If you are open to archery or muzzy it really increases your options. You could have a great hunt in 49, 66, 67 or 76 with either one of those weapons and you can hunt during the rut. Not many 350 bulls but a decent chance at a 320. I guess it just depends on the type of hunt you want and what your goals are and how long you are willing to wait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your help Goat. As every year goes by it gets tougher to draw the LE units. I'm lookin ahead a few years so I'll keep putting in for points and more research. Thanks again partner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    My dad and brother actually have had a deposit with Dark Timber for several years to hunt 61. Did you hunt with them?
    Sorry for the delayed responds wapiti66, been running for the last few weeks. I haven't hunted with Dark Timber. I have heard they have a good success rate in 61. However, I was not impressed with the guides they were using for unit 62. We knew more about the mountains than they did.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info RR.