Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Hunting Boycott

I saw an interesting article in the Denver Post today...online version. According to Parks and Wildlife the license sales for 2013 were up. The total licenses/tags sold was 489,327 (includes small game) with 86,493 being non residents, up 4% over 2012. That generated 45.6 million dollars ( 38 for N/R & 7.6 for Res)

Numbers sure don't lie.....non residents are paying the bills! So much for the boycott because of our legislature's unpopular passing of anti gun legislation.

2 legislators have already been recalled and a 3rd recall is underway.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is some serious money being brought to the table from out of state! I had no idea what hunters contributed to the economy and this is just for one state. That is pretty amazing.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is a big difference between NR and Res, that surprised me. NRs are definitely paying their fair share for tags, bringing in 84% of license sales revenue. The cost of a NR to hunt a limited draw bull elk is 12xs the cost of a resident for the same hunt. So, it takes 12 residents to make the same $ one NR would bring in. Im not ragging on Co residents here, Im sure the numbers are similar in many states. I'd be curious how other states compare.?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    That is a big difference between NR and Res, that surprised me. NRs are definitely paying their fair share for tags, bringing in 84% of license sales revenue. The cost of a NR to hunt a limited draw bull elk is 12xs the cost of a resident for the same hunt. So, it takes 12 residents to make the same $ one NR would bring in. Im not ragging on Co residents here, Im sure the numbers are similar in many states. I'd be curious how other states compare.?
    Me too. I think it would be cool to see and compare the states.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those are amazing numbers, it's to bad that NR didn't honor the boycott. Maybe NR thought the odds percentage would go in their favor because of the 'boycott'? Hat's off to the successful recalls, hopefully it has opened some legislators eyes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by halfslam View Post
    Those are amazing numbers, it's to bad that NR didn't honor the boycott. Maybe NR thought the odds percentage would go in their favor because of the 'boycott'? Hat's off to the successful recalls, hopefully it has opened some legislators eyes.
    If you are a NR, I can't imagine that you would boycott any state, if you had points in that state, for a limited entry tag. To take away all the years of trying to build points, and maybe being close to drawing a tag, would be counterproductive. Maybe if you were just going to hunt OTC units, then maybe a boycott would make sense. I guess it just depends on how much your allegiance is to certain political issues. Thankyou to all NR who hunt our state and help support our wildlife, I feel your pain with the license availability!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, thank you to all the NR hunters who come to Colorado and provide the bulk of funding to manage our wildlife.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Me too. I think it would be cool to see and compare the states.
    This year it cost non residents:
    Elk Colorado: $589 -bull Wyoming: $641 regular

Deer Colorado: $354 Wyoming: $366 regular

As you can see Colorado is slightly cheaper, but of course they issue/sell many, many more permits, hence more $$$$ from the non residents. Just a point of information, I paid almost $500 as a non resident hunting deer in California, where you must purchase a NR hunting license. This really skews the comparisions for states that require this....like Az.

I personally think a boycott like what was proposed is very counter productive. I penalizes the Parks and wildlife department, when they are not the ones who enacted the stupid legislation. They get almost no money from the state as they are an "Enterprise" in Coloradospeak and are self funded.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think most people liked the idea of boycotting the state, until they thought about how bad it sucks to stay home instead of hunting so they packed their bags and went to colorado, the numbers show that. Maybe "boycott" was an idea of certain NRs to try and convince people to go elsewhere while they had the units to themselves....backfired, more hunters showed up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A Boycott would be counter productive as CC said. That's what the non-hunters and PETA people want. If we stay home then they win.

I thought the recall elections were awesome. Go Colorado