Thread: Thanksgiving

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving I have a long list, but most of all, I am thankful for God’s forgiveness, his care in watching over me, his direction and his provision, not only for me but for those I love. I am also thankful that He hears and answers prayer.

I am thankful for my family, especially my wife. I am proud of my children and never imagined how wonderful having young grandkids would be.

I am thankful for all those in the weekly Bible class that God has graciously allowed me to lead for many years, and for some measure of influence in this world.

I am thankful for my clients who place their trust in me. I am thankful to be able to choose my occupation and where and how I will practice it.

Those who have preceded us for many centuries would consider us to be very, very richly blessed. Our freedom, our comfort, our amazing access to information, freedom to travel the world by motorized transport or even 600 mph flying machines, most of us enjoying a mere 40-hour, 5-day work week, having discretionary spending money and living in houses they would consider extravagant would be highly envied by the vast majority of people that have ever lived. The same could be said by billions of people living in other countries today.

King Solomon, if he could have seen the future would have many, many reasons to envy so much of what we take for granted. In fact, a favorite reflection of mine and a good Thanksgiving dinner game is listing the things we enjoy that Solomon would envy. Take the thermostat and central heating/AC for example, indoor waste plumbing, instant hot water, cold storage of food, merino wool, instant illumination of any room with the flick of a finger... there are dozens of things I can think of.

In spite of all the reasons we worry about the direction of our culture and our country, we enjoy incredible blessings and have a great deal for which to be thankful. I am thankful we have a national holiday that celebrates thankfulness and causes us to reflect on what we might otherwise let pass by unnoticed.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well said... We are blessed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Can't agree more! Wow really puts things in perspective for me. My dad just went to the ER with a mild heart attck today. He is in Fl and I am in Reno Nv. Long ways away to be there for him. My mother says all is fine and he will be ok. I spoke to him and he sounds great. I can sure say this Thanksgiving is going to be a big one for me to be thankful. God works in many ways for sure.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well said from me too.

I am most thankful for my wife of 49 years. She was my rock when I survived 2 bouts of cancer along with chemo & radiation. I was told I had a 1 in 10 chance of making it 5 years....17 years ago. God was looking over my shoulder then and still is today. I am thankful for all my blessings since then, especially being able to enjoy the outdoors and life in general.

Health and blessings to you all. Never met most of you in person, but consider you all my family.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe next time I'm in SW Colorado I'll say hi.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anytime. I've met several of you and offered a little advice and help when I could.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley