Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts

Book Cliffs Trophy Elk

I have a Utah bonus point for every year of its bonus point system. I am almost certain that I will be drawn next season. I'm giving a hard look at the early season, roadless Book Cliffs region. From what I've learned so far, this area has a lot of huge bulls. Has anyone hunted elk in this area? Any guide recommendations? Should I look at other trophy areas as well?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How many total do you have? If you have a lot of points I would look at Fishlake. If you do have a lot of points I would not put them in the hat for Books Cliffs. Go to UTAH game and wildlife and look up draw odds. You will find the best unit by the amount of first choice selection.

Just my 2 cents..

Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Your best choices are Pahvant, San Juan, Book Cliffs, Beaver or Boulder (not necessarily in that order)
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, guys.

I will guesstimate that I have 20 elk bonus points. Originally I was going to go with Monroe Mountain. I knew an archery hunter who deer hunted Monroe. He told me that he has seen HUGE bulls there.

I deer hunt south of Monroe, and I have seen huge bulls during deer season.

The dilemma with Utah, (some would be envious of the Utah dilemma) is that many areas of Utah produce huge bulls. I am not after a world record, just a once-in-a-lifetime trophy.

I am going to hire an outfitter. I believe Mossback guided the Spider Bull. I am looking for a 100% fair chase hunt. I'd appreciate info about reputable guides.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree with bubba. The Utah hunting website has a lot of information on it for draw statistics and if I remember right they have harvest success on the reports as well. Are you looking for rifle or bow?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi tdcour,

Thanks for the info. I've been on the Utah Website & have talked with an employee. Because it's a drawing, there is a slight chance that that I'll have to wait until 2015. But I do have an excellent chance at looking over huge bulls with a 2014 limited entry elk tag in my pocket.

I'll be rifle hunting. I took my .270 to a gunsmith a few weeks ago to have its action bedded and to assure it's ready to go. I'll take a Model Featherweight chambered for .308 Win just in case. I've never had a problem with my 40 year old Model 700 .270 Win. My Feartherweight is controlled round feed, but I've never encountered a single problem feeding or ejecting from my Model 700.

BTW, I could use more help from you guys. I haven't hand loaded since Nosler came out with Accubond. I've used Partitions with great success. Should I stick with Partitions or go with Accubonds?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    BTW, I could use more help from you guys. I haven't hand loaded since Nosler came out with Accubond. I've used Partitions with great success. Should I stick with Partitions or go with Accubonds?
    Accubonds are an awesome elk bullet, but the Partition is an excellent bullet as well. You can't wrong with either one.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 11-26-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    Hi tdcour,
    Should I stick with Partitions or go with Accubonds? .
    Both are good choices for elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, guys, for your bullet help. I will give Accubonds a try.

I've spent countless hours today on my laptop researching Utah elk hunting. I've read about a trophy area in central Utah where monster bulls can be shot from dirt roads. In fact, a poster wrote that he had video of the Spider Bull crossing a dirt road before it was killed. I want to hunt a trophy elk, not shoot it. Anyway, I am not as committed to Book Cliffs as I was. The appealing aspect of the Book Cliffs roadless hunt is that it's 10 miles in on horseback and foot. To my way of looking at elk hunting, that's a lot more hunting than shooting.