Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any Idaho Elk hunters willing to help

Hello all. I am new to this site so take it easy on me. I am also from California so again take it easy please. If it helps I am from northern Cali in the sierras and I don't surf. Now that's out of the way I can begin. Myself and hunting friend have decided to give Idaho Elk a whack. Neither of us have hunted in Idaho and are trying to get as much info as possible Now I not asking where you're honey hole is. I wouldn't give up my favorite deer hunting area and don't expect you to either. But would like any info anyone is willing to lend. According to idaho f&g stats unit 21a has had pretty fair success rates for bull elk. So according to stats we think this is a good ace to start. But this is all we have to go on at this point and are wondering what the terrain is like. Migration patterns ect. We don't have the funds for guided hunt so it is a DIY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Hey Norcal30-06,

Welcome to the forum. I have never hunted in Idaho so I can't be much help to you, but, have you called the area biologists and game wardens in the area you want to hunt? That's always a good start. Read the Eastmans MRS section too. Be sure to ask the Idaho folks about the wolf population in the area, it may be significant. Part of the fun of the hunt is the time spent researching it.

We have some outstanding forum members that are Californians so you won't be tooo harshly judged!

Happy Thanksgiving and good hunting to you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks AKaviator. I have contacted F&G. I plan to meet up with a biologist in early summer on an exploration trip to the region if everything falls into place over the next several months. Apparently the unit to the northwest had a severe burn in unit 21. I have heard different opinions on how and when to hunt a burn area. But if we decide to hunt the Salmon region we will prob avoid this unit. I have been very fortunate to hunt private property here in California and honestly don't have much experience on public lands so I am learning a great deal. Thanks for the response. I am finding Eastmans very fun to navigate through and made a unhappy wife with a late bed time last night. Have a wonderful thanksgiving with family and friends.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Have you looked around the Palasades and Tex Creek areas for hunting? Don't remember the unit numbers
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Have you looked around the Palasades and Tex Creek areas for hunting? Don't remember the unit numbers
    I hunt tex creek zone and palisades mostly because its only 50 miles from my house and we do see some Bulls but to many people in tex creek and the wolves are taking a toll so I hunt in November and hunt cow elk for the table even then if there is no snow the elk don't start to move out until thanks giving most people even on here know the population is down if I was going to hunt I would hunt big lost river or the little lost river up to challas, pahsimeroi valley my hunting Buddy and I seen a lot of Bull out the when we had December cow tags out the

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am hunting Palisades for first time in September, buddy lives there. My first DIY elk hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look at the Regs out this year, there's a map showing Elk viability across the units, the poor units virtually ovelap with the current wolf poulation. Look to areas that are hitting numbers on this map, have terrain that fits your physical ability, and has a decent success rate. Idaho is steep and deep in many areas and timbered heavy in many more. You have to work most of the time to get close and since I am one I'll tell you a little about the locals, when you get further back you cant assume they are all friendly, be polite, if you see trucks or trailers at the head of a draw or trail then pick another. Dont go mentioning your CA bit. Good luck, Idaho is a great place to hunt and most of the folks are very nice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal30-06 View Post
    Thanks AKaviator. I have contacted F&G. I plan to meet up with a biologist in early summer on an exploration trip to the region if everything falls into place over the next several months. Apparently the unit to the northwest had a severe burn in unit 21. I have heard different opinions on how and when to hunt a burn area. But if we decide to hunt the Salmon region we will prob avoid this unit. I have been very fortunate to hunt private property here in California and honestly don't have much experience on public lands so I am learning a great deal. Thanks for the response. I am finding Eastmans very fun to navigate through and made a unhappy wife with a late bed time last night. Have a wonderful thanksgiving with family and friends.

How's the planning going?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you haven't bought your tags I find that the Pioneer zone is a great area, regardless of what some people might say or think. It is a good area I mean all 3 units(36a,49,and 50) all have good quality and quanity. Also get a deer tag if you choose that zone. Good luck and Pm me for more info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JWHunter View Post
    If you haven't bought your tags I find that the Pioneer zone is a great area, regardless of what some people might say or think. It is a good area I mean all 3 units(36a,49,and 50) all have good quality and quanity. Also get a deer tag if you choose that zone. Good luck and Pm me for more info.
    50 is a pretty good unit, good luck!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

11. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post: