Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts

Am I outta line?

I'm not necessarily a trophy hunter but a mature buck is a must. My bro has drawn the same area the last 2 years and its our backyard. He doesn't scout or really try for that matter. Last year I put him on 4 different bucks that were mature but not really trophy deer. He claimed he was meat hunting but when it came time he said they were all to small. He goes out by himself and shoots a yearling spike the size of a German Shepard. Fast forward to last week, he goes to the exact same spot, same herd and shoots another baby deer then sends his father in law to the exact same spot, spike down! This herd is easy and sometimes there's a mature buck around, he missed a dark horned 3x last year over there, missed 3 times. He claims hes a hunter and talks a big game. Seasons been open 20 days and he spent a total of 5 days out (in his truck). Our backyard, 15 minutes and your out hunting. I had the tag last year too, I scouted every weekend 2 months prior and new the buck I wanted. 3x4 with 4 1/2" eye guards. Granted there are not a lot of monster bucks but mature bucks there are. You just have to work for them. I congradulated him but also told him how I felt about his lazy baby shooting. It pisses me off!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    Man, I dunno.. Of all the things that could tear two brothers apart, I'd never let it be over what my brother decided to kill or not kill.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sometimes there is more satisfaction in a hunt when you do everything yourself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    I can see how that would be frustrating and passing on mature bucks because they are 'too small', then shooting a spike is just down right confusing. But it is his decision and you cant change how someone hunts or show them other ways to hunt if they dont want too. Ppl that wont get out of the truck drive me nuts and I wont even hunt rifle season here because I cant stand how most ppl 'hunt' here and I refuse to be part of it in any way so I hunt ML season instead. Telling him how you feel is good but dont let it get between you guys. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would never talk to him again! for killing baby deer...........Lol. I guess to each is own?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It won't come between us, we can debate and be mad and still be buddies. I've just tried to help him out over and over and he refuses. I tell him its more about the hunt and not the kill but he doesn't get it. In his eyes the hunt is a pain and killing is the priority. If it were a bunch of deer in a 100' high fence I think he'd be happy as hell. Im the type that would refuse to even think about it, i hunt hard for no matter what game im persuing and take pride in putting in my all. He's my bro and I love him but we don't always see eye to eye. I just needed to vent a little and maybe get some advice. It has made it where we don't hunt together much, mainly cause he's only out when he has a tag. He doesn't come on my hunts or even with buddies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ando, I think what you said had a lot to do with last years hunt. He was proud and I was happy for him. The repeat this year and some other issues on a cow elk hunt this year have made me finally say something. What really frustrated me was he wouldn't get in the mountains once with me this year but when season opened he wanted to go together every chance he got. I never went because I've been bear hunting my a$$ off and also saw the trend happening. I know I can't change it but I had to speak my mind and let him know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If he's a newbie, he might have felt he just needed to get a buck on the ground that no one helped him find.

It takes some time to get the passion for big deer and spending lots of days in the field. My first couple bucks were no giants. I'm guessing your first deer would not be one you'd shoot today. Or, maybe your brother catch the obsession.

Not having a brother and not being close to my dad when he was alive, I'd love to have a brother to hunt with, even if his standards were not the same as mine and our few days hunting were more about the time together than what we got.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm with you horshour, I would love to spend time hunting together. Just can't get him out and enjoying the hunt. Its a bummer all around. I hunt 9 months outta the year, its what I do. He hunts 5-6 days outta the year and by day 2 he's talking how hard it is and how bad his season is going. I've tried to get him out running hounds with me and he won't. Just different ways I guess.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yup, one man's passion is another man's yawner, even for guys in the same family. You might feel the same way about golf as he does about hunting.