Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Waiting on 1st elk

Its been seven years since i started chasing elk with a bow. Ive yet to get one down. Im from oregon(westside), and its tough hunting for Roosevelts. Been over east and enjoyed it more, but still no luck. Im now thinking about out of state, where opportunity may be better, ie Colorado.

All of you seasoned elk hunters who have been there and done that, hunted out of state, etc... Knowing what you know now where would you go to have the best opportunity at your first branched antlered bull? Public land.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I also live on the west side, and I would encourage you not to give up. As I am sure you know, there are some very very successful Roosevelt hunters, so it can be done and what you learn will benefit you a lot out of state. I have found that successful western Oregon bowhunters are awesome out of state hunters. It does not get much harder than hunting western Oregon.

With that said, since it sounds like you have not been applying out of state, you may not have points built. I'd seriously consider hunting archery on the general season elk hunt in Wyoming. That can be drawn every could years (on the regular less expensive draw) or every year (on the more expensive Special draw). Your application is due in January. You will have to put a ton of research into what area to hunt to make the most of that tag however.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I actually just started applying out if state last year. I have 1 elk and 1 mule deer point in Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    You're doing the right thing. You have to have a multi state, multi specie strategy to draw good tags.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Roosevelts are tough to hunt but by far my favorite to hunt out of the 2 species of elk. I grew up hunting Roosevelts on the north coast range and I miss it sometimes now being on the eastern part of the state. I am also somewhat newer to the points game nowhere near as seasoned as umpqua hunter but I hope that I will soon draw a good out of state tag or Wenaha. On a side note I agree with umpqua hunter about successful Roosevelt elk hunters; if you are a successful Roosevelt hunter you are generally successful on most any other location where you elk hunt.
    Last edited by The Deer; 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey emmagator, welcome to EHF. I am with you on looking out of state for better hunting, I am curious what the other states are like compared to here in OR

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    They got to be better then Washington. I couldnt even find a cow this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What is it about Roosevelt's that makes them tougher than Rocky Mountain elk? Are they more wary, or is the terrain more difficult?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Terrain is brutal in Roosevelt country.