Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

unit 56 mule deer

looking pretty hard into unit 56 for mule deer for the 2014 season! we will be rifle hunting on our own! if any one has any input, past experiences or just general info they may know it would be greatly appreciated, not looking for you secret spot just want to hear what others think of the area! Driving a loong way so il take all i can get!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunted there in November seemed to be a decent unit. Saw quite a few deer, couple of decent ones, nothing really big though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Meat hunter......Which weapon season was it that you hunted. How was hunting pressure and land access???? Any areas to avoid???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted 56 the past two seasons and in all honesty I have not been impressed. Hunted rifle in 2012 and archery/rifle in 2013 simply because I was new to the area. In 2012 I saw a handful of does nothing else. Last year I did run into a few average sized bucks on the archery hunt but nothing on the rifle. No road hunting here either, I'm a diehard so this was over several days and many miles. Needless to say I will be heading elsewhere this season. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmbushID View Post
    I have hunted 56 the past two seasons and in all honesty I have not been impressed. Hunted rifle in 2012 and archery/rifle in 2013 simply because I was new to the area. In 2012 I saw a handful of does nothing else. Last year I did run into a few average sized bucks on the archery hunt but nothing on the rifle. No road hunting here either, I'm a diehard so this was over several days and many miles. Needless to say I will be heading elsewhere this season. Hope that helps.
    This pretty much sums it up! Hard general unit to hunt! I have a friend who hunts this unit ever year since its his back yard and I went and hunted it couple times with him and I wasn't really that impressed!
    Last edited by woodtick; 05-20-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt it every year... I really know the secret to hunting this, you have to be there opening morning on top of a certian range of hills... plenty of buccks in the area but they are pretty smart. It gets really tough later in the season.... I am also the third generation... I am still deciding whether to go to 56 for a elk/deer combo or 50 for a deer/elk combo. need any advice pm me