Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Here is something to keep in mind and that has to do with the "T" version or the non "T" version.

I had bought the 400T as my last GPS back in 2009 and used the heck out of it. This year when doing research for a new GPS what I learned is that the "T" means the GPS is preloaded with topo data. You also pay more for the "T" version than the non "T" version.

The with the "T" version, the topo data is lower resolution than what you get with the Hunting GPS cards. I decided to save some money, so I bought an Oregon 450 (non-T version) and used the money savings to buy a Hunting GPS card for Oregon. That way I now have better topo data as well as land status data (public/private ownership).

The only thing I have heard about the "T" version is the road data is better than what you get with the Hunting GPS cards, and I think this may be true.

I use my GPS extensively and probably make 20-30 entries on it in a day of hunting. I am marking everything….where I see game, where sign is, where springs are, where game trails are, where I parked, etc. I often carry my laptop in my pick-up with Google Earth loaded in the cache and make entries on it when I get back to the truck. The 450 has all I need.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    UH, your rite about the "t" version. I believe the map scale on the hunting GPS cards is1:24 vs the "t" which is at 1:100, so yes the cards are more detailed. I bought the 550 T, when it was on sale for the same price I could have got the regular and it came with the camera. So if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have gotten the T version either. But I will say it's nice to have the "T" version when you are passing through States that you don't have the card for.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I decided not to get the T version for exactly the same reasons.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH, have you looked at TopoFusion for your laptop? I've been using it for about 6 months now alongside ArcGis Explorer for my Internet Scouting and GPS/PC integration.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Only problem is it's for Windows, and I'm a Mac diehard.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I only got the t version because it was on sale alot cheaper then the one without it. Its nice to have but dont think I would pay extra for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Only problem is it's for Windows, and I'm a Mac diehard.
    Well, that's a bummer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Garmin Oregon 550T is what I have and love it. Have not had any issues with it and really like the camera feature. I'll take a picture of the area, trail head, or animal I took and use it to name my way points. I also like the touch screen, it makes it easy to move or enlarge the map.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks to everyone for the tips... I'll keep trying to get it figured out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have the Oregon 450 and than bought the different cards for it. One thing to keep in mind with the state hunting gps cards is, they don't show outside the state. For some people that may not be an issue. but for me, it is. So I use the hunting gps cards when hunting, but when snowmobiling I put in the Idaho\Montana\Wyoming card in.

I run the Idaho Montana border all winter on my snowmobile, I am in and out of the 2 states multiple times in the day.

I do have to say, that I have never really used gps's before, never needed one, still don't think I need one, and I leave it in the truck more than I should. Snowmobiling I have never needed it, except to mark avalanche spots and other bad things that go with avalanches.
    I guess I only have one to have the gps coordinates to call in a chopper.
    Last edited by tim; 12-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.