Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mule deer meat

Thanks
    I've eaten whitetail from several states and provinces, and never had a bad tasting one. I've had muley from North Dakota that tasted pretty good, but my big buck from Colorado was pretty rank. The meat was well-cared for, but he was an old buck living around 9500 feet in dark timber and aspen. Unless the meat was heavily seasoned or marinated, I would be able to tell the difference any day.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    They are both good, my buddy & his family swear the mulies are better.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Had mule deer for the first time at my house tonight. If was a hit with everyone, especially the little man.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JEandAsGuide For This Useful Post:

Umpqua Hunter (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Love that photo!

I've had both and it's hard to tell the difference. An ag country whitetail and high country muley pretty much taste the same. I imagine the sage brush muleys might be stronger, but I don't hunt the sagebrush lowlands.

Call me crazy but my favorite wild game has become antelope. I love the stuff! My last two goats have been every bit as good as elk (cows too). I process my own meat, so I know it's taken care of.

Thanks
    Whoever told you that just doesn't want you to come out to mule deer hunt. ;-)

It is completely how the meat is cared for. Way back in the day (old B&W photos) guys would drive all over with a deer strapped to the hood of their car for days. One time I stopped to talk to another antelope hunter in Wyoming and he had two does in the back that were bloated out like balloons. Can you imagine eating a beef after treating it that way?

My dad taught me to be meticulous in caring for venison, and I'd have to say I've never eaten a bad deer, moose, antelope, sheep, caribou, mountain goat, elk, etc….
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    No difference to me. I prefer it myself. Whitetail is amazing, but there is something extra in mule deer that tastes great!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ddress00 For This Useful Post:

EZ7 (12-17-2013)

Thanks
    I love mule deer meat! Next to elk it's my favorite!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jenbickel For This Useful Post:

EZ7 (12-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks! Speaking of deer meat prep made me wanna share this burger recipe of my uncles. I may just be late to the table on this one but for those of you that haven't mixed a batch of this up you've gotta try it. I mix in a pound of bacon ends with 3-4 lbs of deer meat as I'm grinding it. Then for every 20lbs I mix in a jar of hogie spread. I am addicted to this burger. Before this I never made just plain deer burgers on the grill. Just added it in with meals (spagetti,etc.). These things are juicy, a little spicy and delicious!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ7 View Post
    I'm from the east and live off whitetail meat. I've never had mule deer meat and have heard several times that it doesn't have a good taste. Is this true or am I being mislead? Thanks

I will gladly give up every single Southern whitetail for a western muley or antelope. Even a 6.5 yr old mature muley taste better than our acorn eating whitetail. It blows my mind on how good they taste, eating sage and rocks does the body good I guess.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AT Hiker For This Useful Post:

EZ7 (12-17-2013)

Thanks
    I had deer steaks tonight. Each bite got a touch of ketchup as its headed towards the chompers. Couldn't really tell if it was deer, elk, sasquatch or some other critter. Tasted good though...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Triple BB For This Useful Post:

EZ7 (12-17-2013)