Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Elk hunting question......

I am a Michigan hunter and have finally drawn a Michigan antler less elk tag. My question is this, will a fawn bleat such as the call made by primos commonly known as the "can" work for calling cow elk? My season opens Dec. 7th and I was hoping that some of the western elk hunters or someone with more experience with elk hunting can answer my question.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't think so. YouTube it and see if there is video of a calf elk calling out.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Up in the Pigeon River Forest where you'll be hunting they normally just drive the two tracks looking for animals. Most of those who draw tags contact a local up there who knows where the animals are and can put you on them. I've hunted elk out in Wyoming and several other western states for 20 years and I doubt seriously that you'll call an elk with that can, although if you have animals in the area and want to stop one for a shot it might work. The best thing would be to spend a few bucks and get a cow call since your tag is really a OIL for the most part here in Michigan. The Primos Hootchie Mama or better yet the calf call they make would be the way to go and it doesn't require any practice since it merely requires you to push a rubber part to make the sound. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the primos hoochie mama an cow girl calls both easy to use they make a baby hoochie now have not got one yet maybe what you need for this trip. If they been hunted hard they maybe not answer may go away from you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The hoochie mama calls will work for you. Youtube cow/calf elk calls like Ikeepitcold suggested and you'll notice the difference between female elk sounds and female deer sounds. I don't think a bleat would work at all on elk other than a 'shock factor' result, similar to whistling at them, possibly slowing them down if on the move, but it may just make them run faster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hum, I guess I never tried to call a cow elk, I wouldn't have even considered that as a tactic. Good luck, I hope what ever tactic you use works, have fun!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Hum, I guess I never tried to call a cow elk, I wouldn't have even considered that as a tactic. Good luck, I hope what ever tactic you use works, have fun!

***Elk are a very social animal and cow calling can be used to bring cows and calves in, as well as to settle down ones in an area that may have got a glimpse of you or heard you moving in brush, etc. It will not make any difference though if they get a whiff of human scent. If bulls are not answering a call, cow calling will sometimes bring females in with a bull following them, especially when the rut is coming on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Calling cows can work decently. You'll call in a cow looking for lost calf, calf looking for lost mom, or call in singles/doubles that are lost from a group. It's been my experience that the reed style, either diaphragm or hand call, work better than a hoochie mama call since you're able to induce emotion into the calling with different duration's on different notes giving you the ability to sound like more than one elk. Just keep in mind that no two elk will sound alike when calling so if you make a mistake, just keep right on rockin' to hold their attention.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IMO I would be cautious about using any calls this time of year as most of the "calling in" time is long past. I would personally limit cow calling this time of year to only when I am trying to get an animal to stop for a shot. I would bet that the chances of you even hearing many cows talking is going to be quite low. Get to a good vantage point and glass the feeding and bedding areas, if the terrain allows for it, and then plan a stalk from there. If not I would try to find fresh sign and try to sit on a feeding or bedding area that is being frequented and wait for the elk to come to you. Good luck, hope to see some pictures soon.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***Elk are a very social animal and cow calling can be used to bring cows and calves in, as well as to settle down ones in an area that may have got a glimpse of you or heard you moving in brush, etc. It will not make any difference though if they get a whiff of human scent. If bulls are not answering a call, cow calling will sometimes bring females in with a bull following them, especially when the rut is coming on.
    I agree, and have had similar experiances in the fall. I never have tryed to just call in cows in December though, not sure how well that would work?? I never have tried hunting in elk in Michigan either! No matter the tactic, any elk hunting is a good time.