Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I see the vote is about split…lol.

I go in these circles over and over and over when it comes time to burn a bunch of points.

I was thinking about this today and I realized my final choice 9 times out of 10 comes down to relationships. When my kids were younger, I picked units I could hunt from a truck or short hikes so they could be involved, glass with me and be a part of the kill. We'd rent a cabin and hang out in the evenings. Today I asked my wife. Her eyes lit up when I talked about a hunt chasing bugling elk. Even though it would be my tag, she said that would be a blast chasing elk in the rut. I know she likes warmer weather too.
    What woman doesn't like a warmer weather hunt? I can't hardly get my wife out when the temps drop below 40!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    What woman doesn't like a warmer weather hunt? I can't hardly get my wife out when the temps drop below 40!
    She's a great sport. She hunted 8 days for her sheep last November. But yes, warmer is better.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 1 Post
    Rut for sure!! But like someone said, like here in Wyoming sometimes the warmer September weather will keep the rut held off until October. You will still find a few bugling bulls and some pre rut activity but the full blown rut nut so much. But I don't think I would trade my September hunts for anything!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    If the unit was close to home or I could take advantage of rapid weather changes, I might choose the late season hunt.

To this point, all of my Elk have been killed in August, September, and the first week of October.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    X10 for the Rut Hunt..... Love hunting that time of year!! Rut on....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally I really like the rut hunts better, but as long as your out west hunting your still better off than home at work. I prefer early due to several reasons. Mostly the weather is nicer but can be too warm though. The colors of the foliage makes the scenery much better, though snow is a very close second. To me listening to bugling elk is what it's all about. I love listening to the elk bugle. I took my girlfriend last time, and it was her first time out west. I called in a bugling bull to 45-50 yards right at dark and she was scared to death and loving it at the same time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 4 Posts
    There are a shitload of elk on the winter range right now. constantly seeing and bumping into them. Might be kind of fun to hunt them this time of year. It is easy to find elk right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    There are a shitload of elk on the winter range right now. constantly seeing and bumping into them. Might be kind of fun to hunt them this time of year. It is easy to find elk right now.
    It depends a lot on the area. There are lots of areas were elk aren't very migratory and they're spread out. I found late season elk in some areas to be down-right difficult to find. I've also found wintering bulls that will hole up in some very nasty stuff while the cow and young bull herds will occupy the lower, gentle country. The bulls aren't vocal and if they have what they need they will not move far. The bonus is, if you find the place, they're crazy predictable and a morning or evening ambush (even mid-day) would be a likely tactic.