Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post

What week in Sept should I hunt in NM

If it was you , what week (7-10 days) would you hunt in sept for elk ?
    I was thinking the 3rd week would be the peak but most of my hunting will be over water source , would it be better then to go pre rut ?

Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think if my plan was to sit water I would scout bulls in August and kill one opening day. If hunting the rut is important, conventional wisdom says later is better. It seems like in western Colorado the real freakshow rut has been trending late, like first of October.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hunted there the first rifle season a few years ago starting October 12 and the bulls were bugling their heads off.

Are you planning archery?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yes with a bow , can go from sept 1st - 27 th . If went on the 1st would be 1st on the ranch that year hunting them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 104 Times in 13 Posts
    Hands down, go early if your main strategy is to hunt water. Get trail cameras up on any available water sources as early as possible. Like Bruin said- You stand a good chance to shoot your bull opening day if you scout properly. If you wont have time to scout, I would still bring a couple trail cameras so you can cover a few water holes at once. Review pictures at night and adjust as necessary. Really put thought into your blind/stand as well as how you will approach.

If you want rut activity, I would look at the last week of September that far south. One thing to consider though is that you will have a full moon on September 27th. Depending on the area, this may limit some day time activity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Hands down, go early if your main strategy is to hunt water. Get trail cameras up on any available water sources as early as possible. Like Bruin said- You stand a good chance to shoot your bull opening day if you scout properly. If you wont have time to scout, I would still bring a couple trail cameras so you can cover a few water holes at once. Review pictures at night and adjust as necessary. Really put thought into your blind/stand as well as how you will approach.

If you want rut activity, I would look at the last week of September that far south. One thing to consider though is that you will have a full moon on September 27th. Depending on the area, this may limit some day time activity.
    I don't mean to hijack this post but what if you were hunting in Wyoming?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 104 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dan maule View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this post but what if you were hunting in Wyoming?
    It would depend on where I was hunting, my goals & strategy. The moon will be pretty dark early in the month. If I could hunt any dates for a big bull, I would likely hunt the 5th - 13th in my traditional areas in southern Wyoming. These dates are a little early for full blown rutting but I like that. Once a herd bull has all of his cows, he is much harder to approach/call in. If your goal is to shoot any bull, satellite bulls are usually much easier to call in later in the month.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    It would depend on where I was hunting, my goals & strategy. The moon will be pretty dark early in the month. If I could hunt any dates for a big bull, I would likely hunt the 5th - 13th in my traditional areas in southern Wyoming. These dates are a little early for full blown rutting but I like that. Once a herd bull has all of his cows, he is much harder to approach/call in. If your goal is to shoot any bull, satellite bulls are usually much easier to call in later in the month.
    Thanks Hilltop!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm thinking he same 5-13 thanks