Thread: Trophy quality

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts

Cool Trophy quality

I only have one point for antelope and I'm thinking of buying the more expensive tag for 2014. I've looked at the draw odds in the special draw with one point and the areas I really want are not drawable. It looks like I can draw type 1 areas 83, 46, 47, 48. I've hunted 46 about 6 years ago and hunted for does the last two years in 83. I killed a low 70's buck in 46 but didn't spend much time hunting it and saw a few nice bucks in 83 this past season. I didn't spend any time hunting the blm land in 83 as my doe tags had to be filled close to irrigated land. Botton line is, can I kill an 80in buck in any of these areas or I'm better to save some more points and draw a better area? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 5 Posts
    The only one I really know about is 47. Can you kill an 80" buck? Yes it's possible. But not likely. I have hunted 47 for the last 6 years and killed numerous bucks in the low to mid 70's. I have seen only one buck that would have gone above 80". The issue with 47 is the herd is still way above objective and they give out a ton of tags, so there are hunters everywhere. Unless you were to get permission to hunt private land. They give out 1750 total tags for that area. I have heard good things about 48. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks SS. There were a lot of people in 46 when I hunted it but it was the opener and that was to be expected. I've heard good things about 48 also. I have a lot of time to think this through before I need to send in money.
    I hope you and your family have a good Christmas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I hunted 48 this season, and the goats were really spread out with all the water available. I hunted 3.5 days and saw one buck that was somewhere in the upper 70s, but don't think he hit the 80 mark. Can you kill and 80" in 48? I'm sure you can with a lot of work and effort. Per my conversations with bio and warden before and during the season, if you saw a 14"+ you had better be shooting which is what I did. He's weak on the top, but was one of the better bucks we saw. The herd isn't what it was 5 years ago, but there are still good ones for those willing to put in the time. I wished I had more time to hunt but that was all I had. Still had a great time though, and it doesn't hurt to camp on the Miracle Mile and get in some phenomenal fly fishing too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130930-00714.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	7287

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice buck Scott. looks like he'll go 77-79. He has real good mass and decent cutters. Hard to judge length from that photo.
    I may apply for a good area and hope to get lucky. Some friends did this year and drew with no points. I fly fished the big horn river when I doe hunted 83 this past sept and and caught some nice trout. Will do that again if I don't draw a buck tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I would wait to draw a good unit and find a unit that you can draw 2nd choice to hunt while you are waiting to draw. I only have 1 point too and that is my strategy for WY antelope. There is still some chance you will draw the unit you really want in the random draw too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Musket Man,
    I think we talked via PM's before. I think I'll just put in for a good area and hope to get lucky like you said. May buy a few left over doe antelope tags and fish the big horn river if I don't draw. Seens like 46,47,48 may be a little too crowded for my liking and not worth the special tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fish, we have PM a few times. Someone has to draw in the random draw, I did 2 years ago, used up all my luck and havent drawn a tag anywhere since. LOL! How did your WA elk hunt go?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Musket,
    I didn't get a bull and saw very few elk even though I did a drop camp hunt. Thats hunting in WA for ya.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry to hear you didnt get a bull but kinda glad to hear it wasnt just me. I spent most of 5 days in Wanaha east and the last day in Tucannon with the spike tag and never saw an elk. Lots of nice country but no elk. Only elk I saw was a small 5 point on top of someones SUV going out when I was going in. Do see a monster come out a there once in a while but Im not sure its worth the line you have to wait in for the bull tag other then it dont cost much as a resident and you can scout with the spike tag until you draw.