Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I put a lot of thought into what to get for my wife and finally setteled on just re stocking one of my 30'06s. Loaded with a 130 gr sp. it makes a good practice gun, with 150 btsp its good for deer and I am going to work up a 180 accubond load that won't recoil to much if she ever draws a moose tag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    I'm with Bitterroot Bulls on this one. I do not care for muzzle breaks at all. His caliber selection is a very good one as well. The 7mm-08, 7x57, or 280 Remington loaded with a good 140 gr. bullet would serve her well and would be something I imagine she would be very comfortable shooting. If she shoots a 25-06 and the recoil does not bother her, she will be able to handle any of the cartridges i have mentioned, and she won't have to have a muzzle break on the rifle.
    What they said...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Can she legally use the .25-06 on kudo and gemsbok where you will be hunting? Might want to stick with what she is used too. I think the .308 would be a good choice if you wanted to go bigger. Lots of options with "managed recoil" loads if need be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Although my favorite rifle is my 270, my dad took his to Africa and it was a little too light for the large antelope. He shot his wildebeest with it but everything else he used the guides larger 338. I would recommend the 308. Also, choose a caliber that is popular in case you need to get ammo there or you'll pay he

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Not sure what happened to the rest of my post...... You'll pay a lot for the ammo down there or won't find some calibers. The guide told my dad that he has had hunters whose luggage was lost and had to buy ammo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts
    I shoot a model 70 7mm actually have two and love them both, but how about a 6.5 good round

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    My wife shoots my Christensen Arms 300 WSM. It's very light and weights 6 pounds 140 ounces scoped. It has a muzzle break and the recoil is very mild, I would say less kick than my .270. It is all my wife shoots. She doesn't even want her own rifle. My son shot his buck and elk with it this year. I'd highly recommend a muzzle break but it is a good idea to carry a pair of foam ear plugs when shooting a muzzle break.
    Lots of pros/cons about MBs. I have one on my custom .300 WBY and it is a pleasure to shoot.....with the exception of the noise increase. Umpqua has it right from my prospective. The MB is really helpful when developing loads and shooting from a bench just practicing. I have shot mine with and w/o the MB with no change in poi, so you could shoot it with the mb or without it. I think they are good options for recoil reduction in larger calibers, especially if someone has a low tolerance for recoil.
    The foam ear plugs are a good suggestion too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 59 Times in 7 Posts
    My 16 year old Step daughter uses a .280rem. She's 5'7" 12O LBS and handles with no problems. I have never been around a 7mm-08 but they seem to be very popular and highly thought of as a low recoil high impact cartrage, I would like to shoot one someday.

On another note, I wouldn't be scared to use the 25-06 with a good 120 gr bullet either.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 12-11-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would recommend the .308 because on most loads it averages fps ratings that are only 100 fps under .30-06 loads with a lot less recoil.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Getting a gun that fits her properly is very important too. Maybe even more important then the caliber. With lighter recoil you can get away with alot but when you are shooting a caliber with more recoil a gun that doesnt fit correctly will beat about anyone up. Over all weight, stock design, recoil pad ect, have alot to do with felt recoil.