Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Unit 19 Mule Deer

Hi everyone I am some what new to this forum, I live in SD and use this forum a lot for hunting information out of state, So if anyone needs any information on hunting in South Dakota let me know ill do my best to answer your questions.

I have a question for anyone willing to help me or give me information on bow hunting Colorado Unit 19 for mule deer

1. Is it worth my time
    2. Big mule deer potential
    3. best general area to chase them

Thanks for the time, If there is anything else you can think of please don't hesitate to share/ask. Also if you'd rather PM me please do.

Thank you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't know anything about unit 19, but have you spoke with the Game Warden's/Biologists for the area? They can speak to the trophy potential, general area to hunt, and quality of the herd. Have you reviewed the harvest statistics? That should at least give you an idea if the area has animals to harvest. Just a couple thoughts to point you in the right direction.

Also, stop on by the new members section and introduce yourself. You may get a better response from the other members if we know a bit more about you and see you sticking around and participating.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the forum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The place i am looking at is west of fort collins the land looks like it could definitely hold some nice deer. I plan on hiking in far enough to get away from the crowd of other hunters .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I have seen some huge deer in that area in the summer time but I have never hunted it. Genetics are great if you can find an older deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 2 Posts
    Hey guys, I have a 19 archery tag, I've scouted a total of 20 days this summer. There are a lot of deer in this unit, problem is the buck quality sucks. I haven't seen a buck bigger than 130" all summer.
    The Dow a few years back got the bright Idea that cwd was running rampant through the heard and felt it would be best to massacre every deer they could. Not one case of cwd was found! The heard is starting to come back but the genetics just aren't there yet. I'm mad I spent my pref points on this tag. I did not do my homework before hand.
    IMHO not worth it. I'll probably end up with a forky seeing that's all I've seen since season opener. It's not from lack of looking, I've hunted from timberline to the flat lands. Unit 20 holds better deer or try the gunnison basin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Rockies are the marrow of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hycntryhtr View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 19 archery tag, I've scouted a total of 20 days this summer. There are a lot of deer in this unit, problem is the buck quality sucks. I haven't seen a buck bigger than 130" all summer.
    The Dow a few years back got the bright Idea that cwd was running rampant through the heard and felt it would be best to massacre every deer they could. Not one case of cwd was found! The heard is starting to come back but the genetics just aren't there yet. I'm mad I spent my pref points on this tag. I did not do my homework before hand.
    IMHO not worth it. I'll probably end up with a forky seeing that's all I've seen since season opener. It's not from lack of looking, I've hunted from timberline to the flat lands. Unit 20 holds better deer or try the gunnison basin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    19 is a tough area to hunt. There are some decent bucks there. But they have a lot of places to hide. If you don't have intimate knowledge of theses buck haunts it's even tougher. I hunted the area off and on while going to school and I killed one good buck. Several more got away. It's rough, and the deer population is low. The biggest deer there are in the private foothill country. There are 200" deer there. PM the season you are hunting and I might be of more help.