Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kryptek or Kuiu for Intermediate & Rain Layers

2014 is the year for me to upgrade my clothing. It seems Kuiu and Kryptek are the two front-runners in my price range. Sitka is just too expensive and Russell is hard to find.

I'm mainly thinking of the intermediate and rain layers since Kuiu's Superdown Spindrift jacket seems far and away the best insulating layer and I have my baser layer already.

According to Guy's "6 Layers" article, it looks like the Kuiu Guide jacket is a little warmer and wicks better than the Kryptek Cadog Shell jacket. The weight is similar. I am thinking of going with the Guide jacket, pants and vest.

On the rain layer, Brandon Mason loved Kryptek's new Poseidon jacket and pants and they are way lighter than the Kuiu Chugach set. So, I would use Kryptek for my protective layer.

I just wish Kuiu was better about order fulfillment, plus I can buy Kryptek on sale at Cabela's.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW, this is mainly for hunting Wyoming and Colorado and sometimes Montana in October and November.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd go with whatever is cheaper. You may want to check out Core4Element too. They have lots of good deals on camofire.com. After Xmas cabelas throws some good stuff in their bargain cave. I cleaned house there last year on quality Russell gear and some other goodies for 50-70% off. I was a little sad when I missed the 25% off deal at Kuiu around Thanksgiving. I like their vest and that superdown jacket which looks like a really good value IMO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ended up buying the Kryptek Cadog jacket, pants and vest today - totalled $414 at Cabela's.

Kuiu and Kryptek were really close and with a great sale, it was an easy call.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You will be happy with the Kryptek. I really like their rain gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    I ended up buying the Kryptek Cadog jacket, pants and vest today - totalled $414 at Cabela's.

Kuiu and Kryptek were really close and with a great sale, it was an easy call.
    I've had both in the past but settled with Kryptek. The qualtiy of the clothing is what kept me as a repeat customer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    I used to have sitka and sold it and went to kryptek gear and love it all I have just about have every piece and love it including the rain gear, rain gear is awesome never never have to worry about getting wet again. I got all my gear at gothuntsgear.com talk to Justin if u have any questions he knows everything about gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone try out Kuiu's Yukon jacket yet?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No, but I did get a set of the Kryptek Poseidon rain gear. They are not quite as quiet as I would like but not bad, and then again, they are much quieter than a lot of rain gear, plus they breathe better and are really light and packable. I had to size up on the pants, not for the waist but because the athletic cut is just too tight in the crotch and butt for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Yukon jacket.
    I wear it fairly often, even when no rain is forecast. I spent a couple days in the rain during deer season and had zero issues. Riding to and from the hunting area on an ATV and had no leaks. I use it when it's cold and windy and it blocks wind really well.
    I have done some pretty good hikes in it, steep nasty stuff that makes you sweat and the Yukon doesn't overheat you. I don't understand how that works but the breathability of Kuiu gear is amazing and the Yukon seems to be the best. I know it's the best rain gear I have ever had. Tried three different Cabelas, MT50, guide wear, and one other I don't remember. Tried the Sitka jetstream and they all make me overheat. Amazing amount of sweat. Not so with Kuiu.
    The guys that say buy the cheapest stuff you can find have obviously never had good gear. Once you try it you won't switch, the cheapo junk has no place in my pack.