Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Mike Eastman's new elk book has a terrific chapter on how best to do exactly what you are asking about. Even guys that have done a lot of research will learn something. http://www.eastmans.com/shop/books/elk/
    Thanks. Good to hear. I ordered this book and another the other day and am waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Using arcgis explorer you don't need paper fs or blm maps. Same for google earth. I'll post a new video showing how to add the SMA overlay server that has state, forest, blm, reservation lands for the whole country.
    Arcgis explorer will also let you add geo referenced tiff forest maps. Add the topo map server and you have most everything you need for Internet scouting. Arcgis explorer wil handle all of it way better than google but google has better 3d and renders quicker. Arcgis also uses bing for basemap so the sat images are quite a bit better too.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 12-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Using arcgis explorer you don't need paper fs or blm maps. Same for google earth. I'll post a new video showing how to add the SMA overlay server that has state, forest, blm, reservation lands for the whole country.
    Arcgis explorer will also let you add geo referenced tiff forest maps. Add the topo map server and you have most everything you need for Internet scouting. Arcgis explorer wil handle all of it way better than google but google has better 3d and renders quicker. Argos also uses bing for basemap so the sat images are quite a bit better too.
    Thanks! That sounds like some great info. I'm not familiar with either arcgis or Argo so I'll have to investigate them. I've used google earth but never added overlays or such. I look forward to the video.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    Mike Eastman's new elk book has a terrific chapter on how best to do exactly what you are asking about. Even guys that have done a lot of research will learn something. http://www.eastmans.com/shop/books/elk/
    Got my book a couple days ago and the first section on research looks great. It doesn't get into using a computer and the tools that come with using a computer as much as I would like but that section paired with some of the stuff I learned here will help me a lot.

Keep the tips coming. This is good stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Everybody has the same access to most maps. What I find most helpful without putting boots on the ground is to look for someones blog site who has packpacked in the summer into your area, maybe a mountain biking blog site or a horseback riding trail review. If you get pretty specific on your google search, you can usually get a few hits to find some info. Another way is too find out from the state, what outfitters are permitted in the area you want to hunt. Look over their website, LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND in all of their photos( sometimes a mountain peak is all you need to see to figure out where they are ), call them up and act dumb. Tell them your thinking of changing areas and want to know what they have to offer. Maybe get them to refer you to another hunter they had in camp and try and get some info from him. If you are more local, sometimes it is easy to talk to the local school bus driver, the county road grader in the area, maybe the train engineer if there is any rail close by. If you can get 2 or more people to give you the same answeres to your questions maybe you will have something to go on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    www.huntingGPSmaps.com is great for land boundaries and who owns it. Install the card in your GPS and you know who's land you are on at all times. Use it with BaseCamp free software in your computer and you can do the homework. Use the landowner's names to contact for tips and advice on the area.

Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon has excellent tips on reading maps, aerial photos regardless if you are deer or elk hunting.

Good hunting!