Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spotter testing

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    The distortion will be easy to see.

Put a straight line (like a power pole) in the center of the field and move it toward the edge by panning the scope. You will see it appear to bend as you move the scope.

Warning***** When you start looking for these things, you will end up seeing them all the time!!!!
    Great. Like I need to pick apart a several thousand dollar piece of equipment!!!! I can here my wife now. "Why do you need to spend that money if something is wrong with it"......maybe I'll keep this to myself, just like the price!

On a slightly side note I did like the vortex until I got it in low light and had it next to the cabelas and the swarovski's. I quickly noticed a difference of 1-2 resolution lines in the 15-30 minute window after sunset. Ideally I would like to own the best of the best but how much of a difference will I notice when looking at deer or elk size game at 1+ miles. Unfortunately where I am at I don't have the ability to be spying on deer (or elk for that matter) from much more than 500-700yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another question for the experts......

Clearly the Vortex states an unconditional warranty. I'm not good with reading the legal side of things. What is the "non lawyer" version of swarovski's warranty?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My real-world experience is Vortex was great when I sent in my old spotting scope, the repaired it and sent it back within 2 weeks. But I feel if it were a Swarovski, I wouldn't have had to send it in because the eyepiece wouldn't have broken in the first place.

In real-world results... Swarovski customer service is every bit as good as Vortex. My buddy had a pair of loaner SLC's sent to British Columbia when his binocs fell down a rockslide while hunting sheep. One call from the outfitter's wife to Swaro and new binocs were overnighted at no charge. He then sent in his old ones for repair when he got done with the hunt. Didn't cost him a penny.

There are dozens of stories just like this, a quick google search will make it obvious that the warranty isn't necessarily a victory either way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Swarovski does have good customer service, but the warranty is not "no fault" or transferable, and Vortex's is.

For instance, somehow I scratched my SLC's objective. Swaro repaired them for a reasonable charge. It took several weeks to get them back, but they arrived back like new.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A little off topic, but is there a big difference between the swarovski ats and the ats hd? I have a friend who is willing to part with an ats 80, but he says it is not the ats hd.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    How big is the price difference between your friends spotter and a new HD version? I have not used any of the new HD models but the optics guy at Cabelas told me for the money and what I would gain he didnt think it would be worth it to upgrade my EL binos to the new HD EL's. Swarovski is good glass no matter what model it is and if you can get a good deal from your friend I dont think you would be unhappy with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I am not the guy at Cabelas , but here is my take:

The difference is in Chromatic Aberration control ("color fringing"). In terms of raw on-axis resolution, both the HD and non-HD are very good. However if you are glassing in high-contrast situations, you will not be able to use the resolution because the CA will be mudding it up.

Also some people notice CA more than others.

If you are digiscoping, the CA will be quite apparent in your photos, because cameras can't NOT notice it.

Personally, I will only get HD (or ED, APO, FL, or whatever term the manufacturer advertises) optics, because CA is quite bothersome to me, and I glass in high contrast situations (particularly snowy burns) and digiscope frequently.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 12-18-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    How big is the price difference between your friends spotter and a new HD version? I have not used any of the new HD models but the optics guy at Cabelas told me for the money and what I would gain he didnt think it would be worth it to upgrade my EL binos to the new HD EL's. Swarovski is good glass no matter what model it is and if you can get a good deal from your friend I dont think you would be unhappy with it.

About $1200 less than a current Swarovski ats HD. Both are 20-60x80.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    About $1200 less than a current Swarovski ats HD. Both are 20-60x80.
    ....And it should come with the full Swarovski warranty as he is a dealer and this is actually a demo unit wiht no visible damage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Guess I put my foot in my mouth BB. I didnt know FL was another term for HD. My 65mm Zeiss spotter is a FL so I guess I was using a HD spotter and didnt know it. I got a great deal on ($1200 and it was in like new condition) it from my cousin and I have been really happy with it! But for a saving of $1200 I would be very interested in the demo spotter.