Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Any plans for a land ownership layer?
    Are you looking for private land ownership, like this: http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/

We only have the public land ownership right now, but we could add this layer too. I will look into it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    That is exactly what I am looking for. If you add that layer, I will end my subscription to the app that this thread was started about, and run Gaia only.

BTW, I love how easy it is to export waypoints and tracks from Gaia to Google Earth. Handy feature.

Come to think of it, a satellite layer would be nice too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L. Johnson View Post
    I am Andrew, one of the Gaia GPS developers. Couple of comments:

1) We now have a lot of hunting data that you can overlay on topos/aerials in the iOS version. This includes public land, WMAs, GMUs, and other state-specific data. You need a GaiaPro subscription (available in the app via Settings) to overlay the hunting layers.

2) The Android app can access the hunting layers, but doesn't do layered maps yet, so they aren't that useful not layered on top of a base map.

We recently added this maps page so anyone can browse the maps online: http://www.gaiagps.com/maps/
    Cool update Andrew. I have the Gaia app iOS version, but did not know it offered this in the Pro version subscription. Cool seeing this update and welcome to the forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 4 Posts
    do you folks run into battery life issues with your smart phones and these apps?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tim, some apps can and do zap a battery depending on how you optimize your settings. Not sure what type phone you have but below helps an iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Turn on Auto-Brightness to extend battery life.
    Fetch data manually.
    Turn off push notifications.
    Minimize use of location services.
    Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I dont have an iPhone. To much technology for me, still trying to figure out my new GPS lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Come to think of it, a satellite layer would be nice too.
    There are actually a few satellite options in the app - both a US source based on USGS data we get from CalTopo, and a worldwide source we get from MapQuest. Then, we also offer a cloudless worldwide source from MapBox as part of GaiaPro too, which costs us money to license. Any of them can be viewed here: http://www.gaiagps.com/maps/

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    do you folks run into battery life issues with your smart phones and these apps?
    For battery life, there is a good set of ideas at the end of this article for how to conserve battery life. This is from the point of view of a multi-day backpacker, so that's a primary concern: http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Andrew

I would love to see you guys add the layers BB mentioned - private land and satellite. I have a droid and can't go with this until you guys catch the droid app up with IOS.

With the iPhone market share now down in the high 30s and Android almost 60% I would think the most resources would be going to the droid side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    With the iPhone market share now down in the high 30s and Android almost 60% I would think the most resources would be going to the droid side.
    It does seem to be tipping, and we have actually been working on Android the most for a while. Our original Android app was mostly outsourced (or rather built by a friend of mine). We brought it in-house for the 5.0 release, and we started rewriting the Android app in May - my wife Anna and our lead developer Jesse have been focused on Android full-time for months now. It's a total rewrite - 10s of thousands of lines of code. We have a big Android release coming before Christmas, and then we'll have complete parity between the apps by spring of next year. The main thing missing after the Christmas release will be the GaiaPro stuff (most importantly layered maps).

While Anna and Jesse are doing the Android app, Savannah has also been getting all of this hunting data we added recently - doing styling using TileMill and generating the maps for Gaia. And more people like me working on the website

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L. Johnson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all your hard work. Please let us know when the droid version has the layers. That's when I'll jump on board.

I would keep Guy updated too. There may be a review in it for you.