Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone Tried App from Huntinggpsmaps.com?

I called WYGF to find out if they have pdf maps for mobile devices other than the Garmin GPS units. They directed me to huntinggpsmaps.com

Apparently huntinggpsmaps.com has had maps for download to iPhones and iPads for awhile that show topo and aerial views and private land with ownership info. The GPS in the mobile device works without cell service to still show your location on the maps.

They recently came out with a Droid version but looking at the reviews it is supposedly slow and buggy and really drains your phone's battery.

It would be great to have an app on your phone work as well as your GPS without having to carry a Garmin in addition to your phone.

Has anyone tried the iPhone version?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I tried it, removed it. I didn't care for their choices in maps. Back country navigator is the best for droid phones.
    Avenza has geo referenced PDF maps for both droid and iphone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I saw that but I don't think Avenza has a private land overlay or one for hunt units, do they?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    I saw that but I don't think Avenza has a private land overlay or one for hunt units, do they?
    I don't think so, I have re rely used the avenza stuff. Forest visitor maps, mvum, stuff like that. My phone won't do what my gps does so I haven't switched over to it at this point.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use it on my iphone. Works fine, just remember to download the maps in the area you are going for offline use before you head out.

With this and the excellent Gaia GPS app, I left the Garmin 450 at home all year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB, that's my goal - leave the Garmin behind and cut the weight. Do you use the Gaia Pro?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    BB, that's my goal - leave the Garmin behind and cut the weight. Do you use the Gaia Pro?
    It is just called Gaia GPS for iPhone. I don't see a Gaia pro option for iPhone. It is a great app though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use it for my IPhone. I thought it worked good. Like BB said. Cache Ur area before U go.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Gaia GPS developer

I am Andrew, one of the Gaia GPS developers. Couple of comments:

1) We now have a lot of hunting data that you can overlay on topos/aerials in the iOS version. This includes public land, WMAs, GMUs, and other state-specific data. You need a GaiaPro subscription (available in the app via Settings) to overlay the hunting layers.

2) The Android app can access the hunting layers, but doesn't do layered maps yet, so they aren't that useful not layered on top of a base map.

We recently added this maps page so anyone can browse the maps online: http://www.gaiagps.com/maps/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L. Johnson View Post
    I am Andrew, one of the Gaia GPS developers. Couple of comments:

1) We now have a lot of hunting data that you can overlay on topos/aerials in the iOS version. This includes public land, WMAs, GMUs, and other state-specific data. You need a GaiaPro subscription (available in the app via Settings) to overlay the hunting layers.

2) The Android app can access the hunting layers, but doesn't do layered maps yet, so they aren't that useful not layered on top of a base map.

We recently added this maps page so anyone can browse the maps online: http://www.gaiagps.com/maps/
    Cool update Andrew. I have the Gaia app iOS version, but did not know it offered this in the Pro version subscription. Cool seeing this update and welcome to the forum.